Monday, September 1, 2014

CRANAPANA BREAD

Happy Labor Day, Everyone!  Hard to believe, isn't it?  It has been a good day for me (and my husband).  He slept late and I made the Peach Tea Bread again with fresh peaches.  (I will be posting it soon. Didn't mean to tease you.) Anyway, we went shopping for new landscaping and got some ideas.  Did go on and buy a pink dogwood to plant on the other corner of our house in the front to match the one we already had on the other corner. 

While we were eating a late lunch, I also made an apple crisp from a new cookbook I got at an estate sale Friday from Fort Leavenworth.  My husband ate some but I haven't had time.  (Don't worry, I will get it written up later this week.) Looks heavenly!

Plan to make some cornbread chicken pot pie for dinner. Janice showed me the recipe in the Gooseberry Patch cookbook she bought at the same time I bought the one I have been finding great recipes in.  

I went to the chest freezer in the garage to get out some frozen vegetables for the recipe, but couldn't find any.  Actually I could hardly find anything for the frost.  I have been planning to defrost it, but have been putting it off.  Well, it is "labor" day isn't it?  So I stopped and pulled everything out and defrosted the freezer.  (It was so much easier this time than it was last year when I did it.  I remembered the plug in the bottom of it. I discovered it last year when I was finishing up.) 

Now I need to run to the grocery store to get some frozen vegetables and sour cream.  At least it doesn't have to cook long. Will let you know how it turns out. Looks good in the picture in the cookbook, at least.

But before I go, I wanted to publish this post for some Cranapana Bread I made.  It tastes as good as it is pretty.

I think this is the prettiest loaf of bread I have ever made.  What a perfect bread to make to give as a gift to a new neighbor or a really good friend!

This Cranapana Bread is another recipe I found in the Hardware Cafe Cookbook from the Hardware Cafe that recently closed in Liberty, MO. I am sure Barbara Small chose the name by combining the words cranberry, apple, and banana - the three main ingredients in the recipe. It has taken me a while to learn how to pronounce it, but have settled on crana - pana. (It rhymes.) Trying to give the "ap" a syllable just doesn't work for me.

I considered using all - purpose flour and just adding some baking powder and salt, but decided to go with the self-rising flour.  I bought a small 2 - lb package of self - rising flour a while back and just stored it in the back of my refrigerator.  (Actually I store all my flours in the refrigerator.  Started doing this when I started using whole wheat flours because I read you should store them in the refrigerator.  Just added the all - purpose flour too.) I did substitute a sugar/stevia blend for the sugar to reduce the amount of sugar. Barbara just said 1 banana and 1 apple and didn't include an amount so I added my own. 

Besides looking so pretty, it is also very moist.  Will probably be making it again around the holidays and give as presents.




CRANAPANA BREAD

2 - 1/2   cups self - rising flour
1             cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup truvia blend)
2            tablespoons canola oil
3/4        cup milk
2            eggs
1             ripe banana, mashed (1/2 cup)
1             cup chopped cranberries (frozen ones cut better)
1             apple, chopped fine (about 1-1/4 cups)
1/2         cup chopped walnuts
1/4         cup raisins (I used golden raisins)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray one 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan or 3 mini pans.

Mix the flour, sugar, oil, milk, eggs, and banana in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.


Fold in the cranberries, apples, and raisins.

Add the nuts.


Pour into a large loaf pan or divide evenly in 3 mini pans.  (I did the latter.)


Bake for 60 minutes for the large loaf or 45 minutes for the mini loaves.


Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. 


Remove and continue cooling.


 Don't you agree it makes a beautiful loaf?

No comments:

Post a Comment