Monday, September 22, 2014

COUNTRY MEATBALL RAGOUT

I have had this recipe for Country Meatball Ragout from Campbell's for a long time.  I was looking through my recipe box for a recipe using chicken.  I know I got a little off track, but that's not so unusual for me these days.

Anyway, when I saw this recipe I thought it would be a good one to try and use some of those fantastic meatballs I made earlier this summer and froze. I will give you the recipe for meatballs that came with the recipe BUT remember I used THIS GREAT RECIPE I got from my husband's cousin's wife's mother.  (Did you follow all of those branches on the family tree?)  I also thought the bag of frozen vegetables I had were for stew, BUT they were for soup.  That just means my end result looked a little bit different.  

I considered renaming my recipe to SOUP instead of RAGOUT, but when I looked up "ragout" it said it had a thick sauce.  Mine did as I added the flour water at the end to thicken it. If you want yours to be more of a "ragout" instead of a "soup", you could use the frozen stew vegetables.  Either way it tasted pretty good, even if I say so myself.

I really recommend using THIS RECIPE  for the meatballs as I didn't try that part of the recipe. I know Mrs. Griffin's Meatballs are good.




COUNTRY MEATBALL RAGOUT

1-1/2    lbs. ground beef
1/3       cup fine bread crumbs
1           egg, slightly beaten
1/2       cup finely chopped onion
1/2       teaspoon salt
1           can Golden Mushroom Soup
1           can beef broth
1           can (8 - oz) tomatoes, cut up (I used 1 cup of Italian diced tomatoes)
1/2       teaspoon crushed basil leaves
1/8       teaspoon crushed thyme leaves
1           small bay leaf (I did omit because I didn't have one)
1           package (about 20 ounces) frozen stew vegetables (I used frozen vegetable for soup)

Mix ingredients for the meatballs: ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, onion, and salt; shape into 24 meatballs and brown in dutch oven with 2 tablespoons shortening; pour off fat.

(Since I had already made my meatballs and had frozen them, I took out 24 earlier in the day and just placed them in the refrigerator to thaw. Then I just put them in the dutch oven and added the other ingredients. They were still a little frozen, but I knew they would be hot by the time the dish cooked.  They were already done.)


Add remaining ingredients to the meatballs in the dutch oven: soup, broth, tomatoes, basil leaves, thyme, bay leaf, and frozen vegetables.  Stir.





Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or til done. Stir occasionally.


Gradually blend 1/2 cup water into 1/4 cup flour in a small bowl until smooth.


Slowly stir flour water into the dutch oven.


Cook, stirring until thickened.



Remove bay leaf before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment