Saturday, September 6, 2014

APPLE CRISP

This recipe for Apple Crisp came from a cookbook I found called The Fort Leavenworth Recollection. The actual recipe was contributed by CPT Dave Vaden. It was in a section called Along Masculine Lines.  Cute idea, I thought.

Saturday night Janice and her husband Leon came over to play cards.  I decided to make my usual apple crisp to serve for dessert. I have been making "my usual apple crisp" since the early 80s.  It is Betty Crocker's recipe.  It makes a good apple crisp, but the "crisp" part never looks great because you can't "sprinkle" it like the recipe says and I always spoon small amounts over the top, but there isn't enough to make a solid topping for it.  Then when it cooks, it doesn't spread. (I have decided I should only use 1/4 cup margarine instead of 1/3 cup.  Then maybe the consistency will allow me to "sprinkle" it.)

Sunday I decided to go on a mission to find a "new" usual apple crisp recipe.  I had hoped to find one in a Stephenson Restaurant cookbook from Stephenson's Apple Farm I bought, but they did pies and not one crisp recipe was in it. I had bought the cookbook from Fort Leavenworth Friday at an estate sale (along with the one from Stephenson's Restaurant) and decided to check it out.  That's when I found CPT Vaden's recipe.

I think I have found my NEW usual apple crisp recipe.  I love it! After eating it, I sent Janice a text apologizing for the apple crisp I served them.  I will have to make this one for them since I know they like apple crisp, too. As Leon says, "You can't go wrong with apple crisp."




APPLE CRISP

6 to 8 apples (enough to make 5 cups sliced apples)
1/2      cup white sugar
3/4     cup water
1-1/3   cup brown sugar
3/4     cup flour
1          tablespoon cinnamon
4         tablespoons margarine

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.


Pare apples and slice thin. Place in a deep dish. Cover with the mixture of white sugar and water.


In a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and margarine. Use a fork and mash the ingredients together.


Crumble the mixture on top of the apples slices using your fingers.



Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.


Serve with or without ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment