Wednesday, August 6, 2014

SMASH CAKE

As I have said before I like recipes that use yellow or chocolate cake mixes because I can reduce calories by using a sugar free one. I also try to substitute 1/3 less fat cream cheese when I think it will work. Sometimes I use fat free if I think that will work. I decided to use the 1/3 less fat for this recipe (actually I didn't have any fat free).

Those two reasons are what drew my attention to this Smash Cake (what a name for a cake!) when I needed to find something to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop to share. I have made a couple of other recipes that Belinda and Mike Banks contributed to the Cooking Made Plum Easy cookbook of recipes by the employees of Jay R. Smith Manufacturing CO in Montgomery, AL.

I just have to share a funny story with you. Sunday at church, Jerry asked me if I "worked" at Hillcrest on Saturday. I explained to him I was supposed to, but cancelled to go to an early celebration of our granddaughter Madison's 4 th birthday. Then he said, "I knew you weren't there when I didn't see anything good to eat in the community room." I do so enjoy the people (friends) at the thrift shop!





SMASH CAKE



1       box yellow cake mix (I used a sugar free yellow cake mix.)
1       stick margarine, melted
1       egg, beaten


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray the bottom of a 9 x 13 - inch pan with cooking spray.


Mix these ingredients until completely blended 


Press into a 9 x 13 - inch pan. (I used my rubber spatula to press the dough down. If you divide the dough up into blobs instead of just dumping it all in the center of the pan, it is easier to spread out.) Set aside.


1        8 - oz cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese)
3       eggs, beaten
1        box confectioners sugar (about 4 cups), sifted


Mix well with electric mixer. (After generally combined, increase speed to medium (4 on my mixer) and beat about 2 minutes or until smooth.) Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.


Pour batter over the top of the "crust".





Bake for 10 minutes....then reduce heat to 325 degrees F and continue baking for 30 minutes.


Cool on wire rack.





Cut when cooled and serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment