Saturday, August 23, 2014

RED VELVET CHERRY DREAM CAKE

I almost forgot how to turn on my laptop. Not sure why, but this (past) month we used our data faster than we usually do. So for three days we have been careful. I now have so many recipes and tips to share with you, I could easily spend all afternoon and evening writing posts. I do have some really great things to share with you.

I just got home from working the first shift at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. I was not going in this morning but Thursday Cindy called and asked me if I could work. I didn't really have any other plans so I couldn't tell her no. The dessert I am sharing with you first is one I made and took to Hillcrest a week ago.  

I first made the dessert with lemon stuff and shared it with you a couple of weeks ago.  Lemon Dream Cake , it was to die for. At the time, I said I would like to remake it using a sugar free yellow cake mix and no sugar added cherry pie filling. That's what I do....I try to reduce calories as much as I can but not destroy the great taste when I bake.

Well, at the last minute I decided to use a red velvet cake mix instead. The result was a dessert just as good as the Lemon Dream Cake. The volunteers absolutely loved it and there was none left for me to bring home at the end of my shift. I still want to experiment some more with other flavors like blueberry pie filling or peach. I am only limited by what is available in the stores. You are too.




RED VELVET CHERRY DREAM CAKE

1          Red Velvet cake mix + ingredients to make the cake according to box directions
1          can cherry pie filling (I used a no sugar added one)
1          container cherry frosting 
1          8 - oz frozen whipped topping, thawed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a 9 x 13 - inch pan with cooking spray.

Mix the cake mix according to the directions on the box.

Pour the cake batter and spread evenly in pan.


Drop spoonfuls of the pie filling on top of the cake batter.


With a knife, carefully run the knife through the pie filling to sorta spread it out.



Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or til cake springs back when lightly touched in the center.

Cool in pan on wire rack.

Remove cake to platter. I first removed the cake to the wire rack and then placed it on the platter. This way the cake looked just like it did when it was in the pan. Either way works. The pie filling does sink somewhat to the bottom of the cake. You can also just serve the cake from the cake pan.


When the cake is completely cooled, mix the canned frosting with the thawed whipped topping. Make sure it is completely blended.

Spread the frosting over the top and sides of the cake. There will be plenty of frosting so pile it on . (If you choose to serve it from the pan, you will have lots of frosting left over since you are only frosting the top of the cake. You can just use the extra frosting to frost another cake.)


I took a picture of it with the frosting just on the top and thought it made a pretty presentation, 


but I did go on and spread some on the sides.






Store in the refrigerator and cut into squares to serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment