Thursday, August 28, 2014

QUICK BUTTERSCOTCH CAKE

Hardware Cafe Cookbook is one of my latest finds at an estate sale. The Hardware Cafe is located on the town square in Liberty, MO. I wasn't familiar with it before buying the cookbook, but friends tell me it is still there. The next time I find myself in Liberty, I will have to try it out. I have found several recipes that I really like in it. UPDATE: I was going to call the cafe and discovered that it has closed.  So sorry to hear this.  I was anxious to go there and eat. Must have happened recently, because when I mentioned it to Friend Pat, she was familiar with it.

If you follow My Patchwork Quilt, you know I volunteer at Hillcrest Thrift Shop and have spoiled the volunteers downstairs with my "goodies" whenever I go in to volunteer.  I'm not sure what would happen if I showed up one day without something for them to eat.  Their greetings to me is, "What did you bring today to eat?" This week I showed up with this Quick Butterscotch Cake to find the room full and a birthday cake on the table for Josh, the floor manager.  They still greeted me with "What did you bring?"  I told Josh I was sorry and they should have called and told me not to bring anything.  He laughed and said, "Can you imagine if we called Patricia and told her not to bring anything?"  How sweet is that?!

This cake is appropriately named as it is quick to prepare and only cooks 30 to 35 minutes.  The recipe says to serve warm and most of us got a piece while it was still warm, but when a lady came by the register later to tell me how good the cake was, I mentioned that fact and she said it was good cooled too.

I had planned to make the cake mostly sugar free, but my butterscotch pudding mix wasn't sugar free so I decided to save my sugar free cake mix for next time. Trust me there will be a next time and I will use both sugar free items to help out on the calories.





QUICK BUTTERSCOTCH CAKE

1       box instant butterscotch pudding (4 - serving size) + milk to prepare 
1       yellow cake mix
2       eggs
6 oz  butterscotch chips (1 cup)
1/3   cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease or spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.

Mix the pudding mix according to directions on the box.

Add the dry cake mix and eggs.  Blend to moisten and then increase speed to beat for 2 minutes.


Pour cake batter into pan.


Sprinkle the chips over the top.


Press down lightly with spatula.


Sprinkle sugar over the top.


Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.


Serve warm





No comments:

Post a Comment