Friday, August 8, 2014

GOALPOST APPLE SLAW

"Are you ready for some football?"

Where has the time gone? Hard to believe preseason football is happening already. In honor of the Kansas City Chiefs I made this Goalpost Apple Slaw for dinner last night. The recipe didn't call for any meat (since when have I totally followed a recipe?), but I marinated some chicken tenders in a fat-free Italian dressing and had my husband grill them.  He ate his separate, but I cut up a couple of the tenders and tossed them in with my salad. Yummy!

This was a recipe in a cookbook I bought at an estate sale. Friend Janice and I were drooling over the pictures and recipes and another lady shopping got interested. She told me several times that if I changed my mind about buying the cookbook, she wanted it. I ended up telling her about my blog and giving her the "address". Later that night she became a follower of my Facebook page. This recipe is for you Claudette.

What is this cookbook they are so excited about...you might be asking?  Well, it is 101 Homestyle Favorites from Gooseberry Patch. Don't you just love their cookbooks? This recipe for Goalpost Apple Slaw was from Mary Romack  of Ann Arbor, MI. Her comment was, "So crisp, cool and crunchy...a tailgating favorite!"  We don't tailgate so I don't know about that, but I can heartlily agree that it is crisp, cool, and crunchy.  AND it tastes great with the added meat.




GOALPOST APPLE SLAW

2 - 1/4     cups red apples, cored and cubed (I used 1 large Fuji)
2 - 1/4     cups green apples, cored and cubed (I used 2 medium granny smiths)
2             cups coleslaw mix (I just finely chopped 2 cups cabbage and grated a couple of carrots)
1/3          cups dried cranberries (I used reduced sugar ones)
1/3          cups chopped walnuts
1              cup sour cream (I used light sour cream)
3             tablespoons lemon juice
1 to 2      tablespoons vinegar (I used 1 T)
1              tablespoon sugar (I used stevia)
1/2 - 1     tablespoon poppy seed (I used 1/2 T)
3/4         teaspoon salt
1/8          teaspoon pepper


Chop cabbage or use purchased coleslaw mix. (It didn't even take 1/4 of the cabbage to make 2 cups.)


Core and chop apples. (Do not peel...you want the color.)



Add the cranberries and nuts. (I realized I needed a bigger bowl to toss it all together at this point.)

Toss all together.


Add the sour cream and toss.


Combine the lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Add to the mixture.

Add the poppy seeds at the end.

Then you can put it in a smaller bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator for at least an hour before ready to serve.




These are the chicken tenders my husband grilled.
Can add meat if you like.







AND the CHIEFS WON! (The ROYALS did also, but that's another sport!)

No comments:

Post a Comment