Wednesday, July 30, 2014

PORK CHOP & APPLES CASSEROLE

I made this pork chop and apple casserole the other night because I could time it to be ready when I thought the workers residing our house would be quitting for the day.  As it was, it was ready and we had to start eating before they left.  They worked 12 hrs that day.

This was another great recipe from the Colonial Cooks! cookbook compiled by the cooks at Colonial Presbyterian Church in Overland Park, KS. This particular recipe was contributed by  Linda Turrel. Her recipe served four but I just cooked two pork chops.  I will show her recipe with my amounts in parenthesis.

The pork chops were so tender and moist and the "stewed" apples made a delicious side dish for our dinner. 




PORK CHOP & APPLES CASSEROLE

4       pork chops (2 pork chops)
3       apples, cored and sliced (2 apples, cored and sliced)
4       tablespoons brown sugar (3 tablespoons brown sugar)
Dash of nutmeg (dash of nutmeg)
Juice of 1 orange or 1/2 cup orange juice (1/2 cup orange juice)
salt, pepper, flour, and a little olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Salt, pepper, and flour pork chops on both sides.



Put a small amount of olive oil in a frying pan; brown chops on both sides. (I cooked mine 3 minutes on a side over medium heat in an iron skillet. If you want your chops browner, cook for 4 minutes on each side.)



Prepare apple slices. 
I cut each wedge into three pieces.
Combine the brown sugar and nutmeg and toss with apple slices.


Spread in a 9 x 11 - inch casserole dish. (I used a 9 x 9 - inch pan.)


Lay pork chops on top of apple slices.

Pour orange juice over chops and apples.


Cover tightly with foil.


Bake for 45 to 60 minutes. (45 minutes was perfect!)




No comments:

Post a Comment