Tuesday, July 1, 2014

PEACHES and CREAM CAKE

I just got home from volunteering at Hillcrest Thrift Shop.  My husband hasn't gotten home from his golf game yet. Since my Peach Cake was so successful that I took today, I decided I would go on and share it with you.  

John loved it and even came with pencil and paper in hand to get the recipe.  A customer got interested and wanted her friend to take a picture of the recipe that I was writing down for John. I decided it was easier to just give them both my blog address and they could get the recipe here.

I always take something to share when I go in and since dear friend N.C. is moving to OK, I decided to make something special for today.  I saw this recipe for Peach Cake in the Colonial Cooks! cookbook from Colonial Presbyterian Church that I bought at an estate sale.  It was contributed by Adele Hillner.  It is definitely a winner!  In fact I will probably have to make it again since there was nothing left to bring home for my husband to get a serving.

Remember if you want to print the recipe using the print friendly button at the bottom of the post, it will allow you to remove the images. Don't see the "printer" image at the bottom, click on the title of the post, and it will take you to just this post and then you will see it in the bar at the bottom.




PEACHES and CREAM CAKE

1         box white or yellow cake mix
1         stick of margarine, room temperature
1/2      cup coconut(I used unsweetened)
2-1/2   cups peaches (fresh or canned, drained--I definitely recommend fresh peaches if you have them.)
2          tablespoons sugar
1          teaspoon cinnamon
1          egg
1          cup sour cream. (I used light sour cream...it spreads easier)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Blend together with mixer speed on low the cake mix, margarine, and coconut until crumbly. Reserve 3/4 cup for topping.


Lightly spread the remaining mixture evenly in a 9 x 13 - inch pan and press down to cover the bottom of the pan.


Bake for 15 minutes.


While the "crust" is baking, peel peaches and thinly slice. I used 4 peaches to make the 2-1/2 cups.


Combine the sugar and cinnamon and coat peach slices.


Beat the egg and add to sour cream.


Stir til well combined.


When the crust is ready, evenly spread the peach slices to cover the crust.


Then pour sour cream mixture over the peaches.  Lightly spread with back of spoon to cover the peaches.


Crumble the reserved cake mix mixture over the top of the sour cream.


Return to oven and bake 12 more minutes.

Best served warm



No comments:

Post a Comment