Friday, July 25, 2014

(SKINNY) BANANA-PINEAPPLE CAKE

"Is Patricia here today?"
"Yes, I am."
"I knew it! Great cake! I knew you here!"

(Conversation heard at Hillcrest Thrift Shop l last Saturday morning.)


I signed up to work as cashier again this past Saturday morning and decided to try this old recipe I had in my spiral binder for Banana-Pineapple Cake.  I photocopied the recipe so am not sure where it came from.  I do know that the recipe was one from Mrs. Clarence Cody from Mars Hill, NC.

I really wanted to use some bananas I had that were ripening and I always have crushed pineapple on hand.  So it sounded like a good choice for me to make and take on Saturday.  The only bad thing was Friend Janice and I went to estate sales all day on Friday and then my husband and I played bridge Friday night with friends. That meant I didn't get the cake made.  

I guess it is good that the workers who are residing our house were going to show up at 7:30 to start working.  I just got up at 7 and started making the cake before I even had breakfast.  It came out of the oven about 45 minutes before I had to leave.  Nothing like a rushed Saturday morning.

I image you figured out from my conversation with Jerry that the cake was a big success.  (He told me in church Sunday that he wanted his wife to get a piece of it before they left - she volunteers upstairs - but it was all gone.  Sorry, Sharon.)

As I usually do, I did take measures to reduce the calories.  I will show in parenthesis the original recipe.




BANANA - PINEAPPLE CAKE

3        cups all-purpose flour
1        cup truvia baking blend (2 cups sugar)
1        teaspoon salt
1        teaspoon baking soda
3        slightly beaten eggs
2        cups mashed bananas - about 4
1/2     cup canola oil (1 cup oil)
1/2     cup unsweetened applesauce (omitted)
1        cup crushed unsweetened pineapple with juice (8 - 1/4 oz can)
1-1/2  teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour a tube pan.


In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda. (I use a whisk.) Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. (Push the mixture up around the sides of the bowl from the center. This makes it easier to mix everything together with a spoon.)


In another large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk.


Add the bananas, oil, undrained pineapple, applesauce, and vanilla to the beaten eggs.

I had to change to a larger bowl to be able to stir it.  My '2 cup batter bowl' wasn't big enough.
Add all at once to the dry ingredients (very important that your bowl with the dry ingredients is big)


Stir until well mositened.
Oops, I almost forgot the vanilla.


Pour batter into pan.


Bake for 65 to 70 minutes, or til cake tests done (with a toothpick).

Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.


Remove and continue to cool.  








Sprinkle with powdered sugar when completely cool OR drizzle with a powdered sugar glaze.








SUGAR - FREE GLAZE

1-1/2     cups Splenda
1/4        cup cornstarch
5 - 6      teaspoons water

Combine Splenda with cornstarch in medium bowl with a whisk.

Add 5 teaspoons of water and stir.  Add additional teaspoon if mixture is too thick.  (I did.)

Drizzle over warm cake.

Store leftovers (if you have any) in the refrigerator.


Serve:

No comments:

Post a Comment