Tuesday, July 8, 2014

CHOCOLATE-CHOCOLATE CHIP PUDDING COOKIES

Sunday afternoon while my husband was watching golf on TV, I decided to go upstairs to the living room and read a book.  Instead of picking up a book to read though, I picked up a file of recipes that I have collected over the years.  It's been a while since I have looked at them.  Several caught my attention and I plan to make them over the next few weeks.

One recipe "card" in particular though was different ... a cookie made from scratch but using an instant pudding mix.  (It was from General Mills) One was a chocolate chip cookie and the other one an oatmeal cookie.  They both used a vanilla instant pudding mix and since I have been craving cookies lately, I decided it would be a perfect thing for me to make keeping half and taking half to Hillcrest Thrift Shop on Tuesday.

When I got ready to make them yesterday afternoon, I realized I didn't have a vanilla pudding mix ... only chocolate.  I considered going to the store and getting a vanilla mix, but only briefly. Instead I decided I would play with the recipe and use the chocolate one.  I wanted to make the oatmeal cookie and I thought, "I've never seen a chocolate oatmeal cookie and that might be interesting."

Just as I started getting everything out to mix them up, I noticed the fine print with the chocolate chip cookies that said you could make chocolate-chocolate chip cookies by substituting chocolate flavored instant pudding mix.  Well, that solved that problem.  I did decide to just make the chocolate chip cookies, but I still think it would be interesting to try the oatmeal cookies with the chocolate pudding mix.  Next time.

My husband came in the kitchen right after I had the first pan full cooling, and grabbed one.  "Hmmmm, they're good."  Before I had the third pan cooling, he had eaten two more.  I finally ate one from the last pan.  He was right. They are really good.  If you follow my blog often, you know I usually try to reduce calories as much as I can and so this recipe was no different.  I will indicate in parenthesis my substitutions.

I put half of the cookies in the tin to take to the thrift shop today and the other half in the cookie jar.  I do recommend that you store them in a closed container.

Remember the print friendly button at the bottom of the post will allow you to remove the images.




CHOCOLATE-CHOCOLATE CHIP PUDDING COOKIES

2 - 1/4     cups unsifted flour
1              teaspoon baking soda
1              cup margarine, room temperature (2 sticks) (I use a 60 % vegetable oil spread stick margarine)
1/4           cup granulated sugar
3/4           cup firmly packed light brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar blend)
1              pkg (4 - serving size) chocolate flavor instant pudding mix
(I used the sugar free one)
1              teaspoon vanilla
2              eggs
1              pkg (12 - oz) chocolate chips
1              cup chopped nuts - optional (I did use about 3/4 cup pecans)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  


Mix flour with baking soda and set aside.


Combine margarine, the sugars, pudding mix and vanilla in large mixer bowl; beat until smooth and creamy.


Beat in eggs.


Gradually add flour mixture; scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.

t
then stir in chips and nuts.


Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls (I used my cookie scoop and after the first pan, flattened the top of the dough with my spatula.) onto ungreased baking sheets. (I lined my cookie sheets with parchment paper ... I don't have to worry about cookies sticking and cleanup is a breeze.) about 2 inches apart. This picture is the first pan I made before I started flattening them. I usually wait and see if the cookie will flatten as it bakes.


Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.


Cool on wire racks.  Store in a closed container. Makes about 7 dozen cookies.
Now I will see what the volunteers at Hillcrest thinks of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment