Thursday, July 24, 2014

15 MINUTE SKILLET CHICKEN & RICE DINNER

"What's for dinner?"  That's the $64,000 question at our house when I'm not doing my menu planning.  

I need to start doing that again, but this summer has been a little crazy around here. Unless something happens, everything should be finished with our new siding on our house.  There are just a couple of little things that need to be done, and the painter, David, will be doing some painting tomorrow and Saturday. It looks so-o-o-o good. It is just like having a new house. I'm actually excited about doing some of that "dreadful" work cleaning around the house that I so do not like to do.  I have washed a couple of windows and removed the screens and washed them. (I don't want to over-do it...and I have to wait until the window is in the shade to clean it, too.)

Here is a recipe for a skillet dinner I cooked last week that was fast and easy and tasted good too.  It is called a "15 - minute" dinner, but I used instant brown rice that said to cook it for 10 minutes so I took an extra 5 minutes.  I wanted to make sure the brown rice was done.  And it was.  I also didn't have the broccoli and used some frozen peas and carrots.  You could use any frozen vegetable you wanted.

I also cooked a dish with pork chops and apples one day when I thought the workers were going to work all night.  The pork chops were so juicy and tender and the apples were an added side dish that was really delicious.  I haven't had time to write it up, but will as soon as I can.

So for right now you will have to enjoy ....



15 MINUTE SKILLET CHICKEN & RICE DINNER

1          tablespoon olive oil
4         small boneless skinless chicken breast halves or 8 chicken tenders (about 1 lb.)
1-1/2  cups water*
1         can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4      teaspoon paprika
1/4      teaspoon black pepper
1-1/2  cups Instant rice, uncooked
2        cups fresh or thawed frozen broccoli florets (I used 2 cups thawed frozen peas and carrots.)

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat.


Add chicken;
cover.  
Cook 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through.


Remove chicken from skillet.


Combine water, soup, and seasonings in a large bowl with a whisk.* For creamier rice, increase water to 1 - 2/3 cups.


Pour into skillet and bring to a boil.


Stir in rice and vegetables.  
Top with the chicken;
cover.

Reduce heat to medium - low and cook for 5 minutes.  (I cooked mine for 10 minutes because I was using instant brown rice.)



Easily serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment