Monday, June 2, 2014

WHOLE WHEAT OAT BRAN PANCAKES

We are currently visiting with our older son and his family in CO and having a fantastic time.  Our first morning here we went to work on getting their garden started.  The area needed a fence around it to keep the rabbits out so that was the first thing that needed to be done.  The kids were a great help....gathering rocks, pulling weeds in the two raised beds, digging around in the dirt to loosen it....everyone had their special job.  My son and I couldn't have done it without their help.  


Then it was off to buy tomato and pepper plants.  
We also bought some seed packages for lettuce, carrots, zucchini, and corn to finish out the second bed.  

We also planted some marigolds to keep the bugs out.

We put the corn "seeds" between paper towels and are keeping them wet, so they will germinate quicker. So far the bunny rabbit visits the area, but the fence is keeping him out.  

I will miss being able to watch the garden "grow", but they have promised to send me pictures of the first harvest and others during the summer.

This morning my son is making pancakes for breakfast.  It reminded me of this post that I wrote and hadn't published.  While he is using a different recipe, this is one my husband and I really like.

I can't remember the last time I bought pancake mix in the grocery store. I like making pancakes from "scratch" because I can reduce or limit the amount of enriched flour in the recipe.  We do try to eat whole grain products as much as we can because we know they are better for us.

This is another recipe from a cookbook I got at an estate sale called, A Taste of Mission Trail.  The Guinta Family contributed it and it was listed as Easy. I actually followed the recipe fairly closely except that my plain low or non-fat yogurt was also Greek yogurt and my whole wheat flour was whole wheat pastry flour (it is ground more than regular wwf), and I used 1 tablespoon truvia baking blend.  (It is rare that I completely follow a recipe these days.)


WHOLE WHEAT OAT BRAN PANCAKES


1        cup whole wheat flour
1/2     cup uncooked oat bran
2        teaspoons baking powder
1/2     teaspoon salt
1/2     cup all-purpose flour
2        tablespoons sugar (1 tablespoon truvia baking blend)
1/2     teaspoon baking soda
1/2     cup water
1        tablespoon canola oil
1        cup plain low or non-fat yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
2        large eggs
1        teaspoon vanilla

Mix flours, oat bran, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium size bowl.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the water, oil, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla until well blended.

Stir in flour mixture just until blended.













Heat griddle or nonstick skillet over heat until a drop of water evaporates immediately when dropped into skillet.  Reduce heat to medium and spray with cooking oil.

Drop batter and spread out to flatten. (batter is thick) 

Cook, turning once, until lightly browned on both sides.









Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 3 months.
If frozen, thaw in microwave or pop into toaster oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment