Friday, May 16, 2014

SLOPPY (SWEET POTATO) TOTS

I saw this recipe for sloppy tots  in the weekly HyVee ad in our newspaper.  They usually have at least one recipe each week.  This one interested me because I had remembered seeing some sweet potato tots at Walmart in the freezer section the week before.  I didn't buy them at the time, but since we usually try to eat sweet potatoes when we eat potatoes, they had stuck in my memory.

When I saw the recipe, I thought it would be perfect for trying the sweet potato tots.  So, off to Walmart I went to get them.  When I got there I noticed they were called sweet potato "puffs" instead of "tots".  The bag was a 20 - oz bag and the recipe called for a 32 - oz bag, so I got two bags.  Since the recipe said to arrange the tots in a single layer in the bottom of the pan, I just used one bag.  The 32 - oz bag that the recipe calls for would be too much, in my opinion. Of course if you just want to use regular tater tots as the recipe calls for, please do. I just wouldn't use that large of a bag.

We were very pleased with the results and since it is just the two of us, it lasted for several leftover meals.





SLOPPY (SWEET POTATO) TOTS

1        32 - oz bag tater tots (smaller size is probably plenty to cover the bottom of the pan) (I used a 20 - oz bag of sweet potato puffs)
1-1/4 lb grounds ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1         onion, finely chopped
2        garlic cloves minced
1        8 - oz can tomato sauce
1/2     cup ketchup
3/4    cup water
3        tablespoons brown sugar
1         tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1         teaspoon salt
2        cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.


Arrange the tater tots in a single layer in a bottom of a 13 x 9 - inch baking pan.

Bake for 12 minutes.


Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown meat with onion and garlic; drain.


Combine remaining ingredients except the cheese;


Add to meat and mix well.


Pour meat mixture over the hot tater tots.


Sprinkle top with cheese.


Bake an additional 15 minutes or until mixture is hot and cheese is melted.



Serve.







No comments:

Post a Comment