Tuesday, May 27, 2014

CHERRY CHOCOLATE CAKE

Tuesday is my day to go to Hillcrest Thrift Shop to volunteer.  For a while now, I have made a "treat" to share with the other volunteers that "work" downstairs (where I cashier).  They have come to expect something that is good but that I have reduced the calories . I found this recipe in another cookbook, Colonial Cooks!, that I got at an estate sale.  The "colonial" came from the Colonial Presbyterian Church in Kansas City, MO and Overland Park, KS. It was submitted by Carol Shaw who said the recipe came from her mother-in-law many year ago.  

As I was saying, I usually take something in which I had reduced the calories.  I surprised them by not doing so this time.  I could have though by using a Sugar Free Devil's Food cake mix and no- sugar-added cherry pie filling (which I actually did use). In the frosting you can use either truvia baking blend (1/2 cup) or 1 cup of stevia.  Dark chocolate chips also have less sugar.  The next time I make it I will do these changes.

Remember if you want to print the recipe using the print friendly button at the bottom of this post, it will give you the option to remove the images.




CHERRY CHOCOLATE CAKE


1      box chocolate cake mix (any flavor chocolate)
3      eggs
1      can cherry pie filling

FROSTING;

1      cup sugar
5      tablespoons butter or margarine
1/3   cup milk
1      cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch pan.

Mix the cake mix, eggs, and pie filling well with a spoon or mixer. (I used a wooden spoon and that worked perfectly.)

Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.










Frosting:


Combine the sugar, margarine, and milk in a saucepan over medium heat.

Bring the mixture to boil, stirring constantly.

Boil for 1 minute.

Add the chocolate chips 


and stir 


until smooth.

Pour over the cake.

Word of warning.....When you pour the frosting on the cake, don't pour last bit over the center.  The frosting sets up quickly and you won't have a finished smooth top.  Trying to spread it out smoothly with a knife or spoon won't work either.  You can see what I am talking about if you look closely at the center of the cake.  A good idea would probably be to start down one side and just go back and forth across the cake top moving across the cake. 

It doesn't ruin the taste of the cake, it's just my perfectionism. I doubt anybody at Hillcrest even noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment