Saturday, April 19, 2014

CREAMY BANANA CAKE

The other day I wanted to make a banana cake.  A cake....not bread. I wasn't having any luck finding something that interested me in all of my many, many cookbooks. Finally I opened the medium binder that I have recipes written in from after I first got married. (70s)  

This recipe for Creamy Banana Cake was supposed to be made as layers, with a creamy nut filling and white snow frosting on the side and an inch around the top. I liked the cake but wasn't in the mood to go to that much trouble. So I just decided to make the cake and bake it in a 9 x 13 - inch pan and would think about the snow frosting. Well, when I took the cake out and the top was so nice and toasted, I decided I would just keep it in the pan and serve it from the pan. That meant I didn't need any frosting. I kept the plastic cover that fits my pan on it and so it kept the cake really moist. ( I will try it the way it was intended to be made some day and will share it with you.)



CREAMY BANANA CAKE

3/4    cup shortening
1-1/2  cups sugar (3/4 cup truvia baking blend)
2        eggs
1         cup mashed bananas
2        cups sifted flour
1         teaspoon baking soda
1/2     teaspoon salt
1/2     cup buttermilk
1         teaspoon vanilla
1/2     cup chopped pecans
1         cup coconut (unsweetened)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch pan with cooking spray.


Cream together the shortening and sugar til smooth with electric mixer.


Add eggs and beat 2 more minutes.


Add mashed bananas and beat 2 more minutes.


Sift some flour and then measure 2 cups.  


Sift all of the dry ingredients together.


Add to creamed mixture along with the buttermilk and vanilla.


Stir in pecans.





Turn into prepared pan and spread evenly in pan.


Sprinkle the cup of coconut evenly on top of the batter.


Bake til done, about 30 minutes. (The coconut will toast to a nice light brown.)
  



Keep the cake covered so it will stay moist.  


Doesn't need any frosting. It is so moist and nutty with the chopped pecans and toasted coconut on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment