Tuesday, March 4, 2014

GLAZED APPLESAUCE MEATBALLS

I ended up using two different recipes from The Mr. Food Cookbook OOH it's so GOOD to come up with these glazed applesauce meatballs. The recipe for the meatballs was actually a recipe for meatloaf but at the end of the recipe, he said you could shape them into meatballs and just simmer in your favorite tomato sauce or brown gravy.  

I liked the looks of the recipe but I don't have a favorite tomato sauce. So I continued to look for recipes for meatballs. That's when I saw the recipe for glazed meatballs.  I didn't like the recipe for the meatballs as much as the one for the meatloaf, but the "glaze" sounded good.  So I just used what I liked from each recipe and was really pleased with the result.




GLAZED APPLESAUCE MEATBALLS

Meatballs:

1        lb. ground meat (I used ground turkey)
3/4    cup dry bread crumbs
1        large egg
1/2    cup applesauce
1-1/2 teaspoons instant minced onion
1        teaspoon salt
pinch of pepper

Sauce:

1/2    cup ketchup
1/4    cup maple flavored syrup
1/4    cup soy sauce
1      teaspoon allspice
1/2    teaspoon dry mustard
1/4    cup water

Meatballs:


Combine all of the ingredients for the meatballs in a large mixing bowl and mix on low speed until all is completely blended.


Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.


I used a medium ice cream scoop I have to uniformly form the meatballs.


Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and cook the meatballs several minutes over medium heat.


Turn the meatballs over and brown on the other side.








MEANWHILE, prepare the SAUCE.


Combine all of the ingredients for the sauce in a medium bowl with a whisk.


Heat in a small saucepan til it boils.


Add to the skillet covering the meatballs.  Reduce heat slightly under the skillet and continue to cook the meatballs for about 30 more minutes or until done turning the meatballs about every 5 to 10 minutes. (I removed the glass cover for my skillet to take the picture.)


Serve over rice or noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment