Sunday, March 23, 2014

DOUBLE APPLE BARS

What a beautiful day in KC today! You might have thought spring had finally arrived, but wait! Winter just hasn't given up yet.  

My husband woke me up at 3 AM to let me know it had snowed. SNOWED? !  I didn't remember that being in the forecast. COLD yes, but SNOW? The temps just couldn't get up. It is finally up to 39, but I'm tired of wearing a coat. Helped my disposition though by going shopping with my friend Janice this afternoon and got some really good deals.

This is another recipe I have had in my recipe box for a number of years. I thought I had made it before but there wasn't a date on the back of the card. But then I didn't always do that and rarely do it now. I needed something for my husband to take to the others in the tax office and decided these Double Apple Bars would be a good choice.  





DOUBLE APPLE BARS

1-1/2     cups all-purpose flour
1            teaspoon cinnamon
1/2         teaspoon baking powder
1/2         teaspoon baking soda
1/4         teaspoon cloves
1/4         cup (1/2 stick) margarine, at room temperature
1/2         cup packed light brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup brown sugar blend)
1            large egg
1            cup applesauce
2            cups peeled and diced apples (I used Granny Smith)
1/2         cup chopped walnuts

Topping:

1           cup chopped walnuts
2          tablespoons brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a 13 x 9 - inch pan with cooking spray. Then line with foil, and spray again.

Mix the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and cloves in a small bowl with a whisk.

Beat margarine and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy. 

Beat in egg.

Then add applesauce. (mixture will look curdled)

Stir in flour mixture until blended.

Fold in apples and walnuts.

Spread evenly in prepared pan.

In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients and 
sprinkle evenly over the batter.

Bake 35 minutes or until edges pull away from the sides of the pan and top is lightly browned.

Cool in pan on rack then lift out with the edges of the foil. Peel back foil and 


cut into bars.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I have some apples I need to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cooking with apples, Mary, and have been fortunate enough to find a number of recipes that are really good using fresh apples.

      Delete