Saturday, February 22, 2014

SPICY CRAN-APPLE OAT BARS

I found this recipe years ago in the 11/18/97 issue of Woman's Day magazine. Not sure why it took me so long to give it a try, but I'm really glad I did. In fact, I made it two days in a row. The first pan I took to Hillcrest Thrift Shop to share with the other volunteers. I liked it so much, I made it the next day for my husband to take to the other volunteers at Fort Leavenworth's tax office. I will probably be making them again soon....this time to keep and enjoy myself. They taste better the next day after storing them in an airtight container.



SPICY CRAN-APPLE OAT BARS

1        cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2    cup granulated sugar
1/2    stick (1/4 cup) margarine, softened
1        teaspoon baking soda
1        teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2    teaspoon ground ginger
1/2    teaspoon salt
1        cup applesauce
1        large egg
Whites of 2 large eggs (I used 1/3 cup Egg Whites)
1        teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3       cups uncooked old-fashioned oats (I used rolled oats)
1        cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a 13 x 9 x 2-in baking pan with foil, letting the foil extend 2 inches above the pan at both ends. Coat the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

With mixer on low speed, beat both sugars, the margarine, soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt until just blended.

On medium speed, beat in applesauce, egg, egg whites, and vanilla. 

Stir in the flour until blended, then oats and cranberries until well mixed.


Spread evenly in prepared pan.






Bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges and just set in center.

Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. 


Lift from pan by the foil ends and cut into bars after removing the foil.








Can serve plain


or decorate top with a thin frosting.  (I heated some canned frosting for about 15 - 20 seconds in the microwave to thin and then drizzled over the top.  I really need to practice this.  My husband always says it looks fine, but I know that it should look better. One day.....)



The third time I made these I decided to try just swirling the icing crazy around the top after I had cut them into bars. This is what it looked like....


but when I separated them out, they didn't look too badly. I think it is definitely the best of the three.

No comments:

Post a Comment