Monday, February 17, 2014

MR. FOOD'S CRISPY PARMESAN CHICKEN

I don't think I would have thought of using tomato sauce as the liquid when preparing chicken with a "coating", but Mr. Food did. Thank goodness!  

The other thing I am thankful for is the beautiful day we have had today in KC. We were right on the edge of the ice that was part of another winter storm hitting the east, but fortunately we didn't get any of it. I just checked and it was 52 degrees.  A lot of the snow in our yard has melted but it will take several days of this to get the deep piles of snow that we have.  AND the SUN is SHINING! What joy! But back to this tasty dish I discovered from Mr. Food.

I only cooked two chicken breast (boneless and skinless) for my husband and me when I tried this recipe. (and I reduced the amounts by half)

The amazing thing was....it smelled just like parmesan chicken when it was baking.

"Here's a way to get the great taste of frying....in baking!  There's less fat, but still plenty of flavor, 'cause it's in the coating."  so says Mr. Food in Mr. Food Cooks Chicken.




CRISPY PARMESAN CHICKEN

1         envelope (about 1-1/2 ounces) dry spaghetti sauce mix
1-1/3  cups dry bread crumbs
1/3     cup grated parmesan cheese
1         can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
2 - 4  chicken breasts
2        tablespoons canola oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line a shallow baking pan with foil. Spray with cooking oil.

In a shallow bowl, combine the spaghetti sauce, bread crumbs, and cheese.  

In a different shallow bowl, pour the tomato sauce.


Set up an assembly line....


Dip each chicken breast first in the tomato sauce.


and then in the bread crumb mix, making sure you completely cover the chicken.
almost....
Place coated chicken in the pan.


Drizzle the chicken pieces with the oil.


Bake til chicken is fork-tender and no pink remains...45 - 55 minutes depending on thickness of chicken.





No comments:

Post a Comment