Thursday, February 27, 2014

CHEWY OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES



Tuesday while working my shift at Hillcrest Thrift Shop, during a slow period, I picked up a magazine that Kim, the woman who worked before me, had forgotten.  The cover was missing, but after flipping through it a bit, I realized it was a Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine. (Remember the Black Forrest Cake I shared last week that my friend Ellen had made?  It was in a TOH Healthy Cooking magazine, too.)

I ended up taking pictures of several recipes that I am anxious to try.  (Taking pictures is a lot faster than trying to write the recipe down.  I also don't have to worry about keeping up with the written - down recipe either.)

Tuesday night after dinner, I knew I had to find something to make for my husband to take to Fort Leavenworth to share in the tax office. After working the three hour shift at the thrift shop (It did get a lot busier before my shift was over....with as many as 4 customers in line several different times waiting.), I wanted to make something that would be fast and easy.  

I remembered the oatmeal raisin cookie recipe and decided to try it. I really enjoy making recipes that I don't have to use the mixer, but can use my wooden spoon. (Have I mentioned before I really like fast, easy, and easy cleanup?)

The first thing my husband said to me when he walked in the door yesterday was, "They really liked your cookies.  Several wanted the recipe." I asked him if he told them it was a healthy recipe and he said he did. They are really good (and healthy) and I am glad they thought so, too.


CHEWY OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES

1/3      cup canola oil
1/3      cup packed brown sugar
2         tablespoons sugar
3         tablespoons water
1          egg white
3/4     teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3      cup all-purpose flour
1/3      cup whole wheat flour (I used whole wheat white flour)
2         teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2      teaspoon baking soda
1/4      teaspoon salt
2         cups old-fashioned oats (I used rolled oats)
1/2      cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.  (I like to use parchment paper because all you have to do is throw away the paper when finished and the cookies cook evenly and don't stick to the sheet.)


In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugars, water, egg white, and vanilla. 


Combine the flours, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a separate small bowl.


Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture mixing after after each addition. (I added a heaping spoonful each time.)


Stir in oats 


and raisins making sure the raisins are separated.


Drop using a cookie scoop about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.


Flatten slightly.








Bake for about 8 minutes or until edges start to turn brown. Cool for 1 minutes on cookie sheet.


Remove and finish cooling on wire racks.




3 comments:

  1. These look like something my husband might like to eat for breakfast...maybe add some nuts and shape it more like a granola bar!
    Love thrift stores! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of recipes he might like that I have shared....a granola bar and Carol's protein cookies. Both are favorites of ours. In fact, my husband told me yesterday I needed to make the breakfast cookies (that is what he calls them) again. I started to today but didn't have enough protein powder. I like to wrap the granola bars individually and grab a couple when I go out for the day. They are thawed by the time I am ready to eat one. You can search for them in the search window.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I will check them out...

      Delete