Wednesday, February 5, 2014

BANANA BLUEBERRY MINI LOAVES

This was a recipe from my mother's recipe box. It contains plain yogurt so I know the recipe isn't a real old one. 

Not sure when people started using yogurt in recipes but it has been 15 years since she died, so I know it has been over 15 years ago.  I had some plain Greek yogurt but decided to use the vanilla Greek yogurt instead since I was also substituting stevia for the sugar.  (I have found that even though stevia is supposed to be sweeter than sugar, when I bake with it, the baked goods aren't very sweet.

I also replaced 1/4 cup of oil called for in Mother's recipe with 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce.  I wanted to use all applesauce but I wanted to make sure the loaf held together.  I think the oil helps this happen.


BANANA BLUEBERRY MINI LOAVES


1       cup stevia or sugar
1/4    cup unsweetened applesauce*
1/4    cup canola oil* (* or omit applesauce and use 1/2 cup oil)
1/2    cup mashed banana (about 1-1/2 bananas)
1/2    cup vanilla fat-free Greek yogurt or plain
1       teaspoon vanilla
2       eggs
2       cups flour
1       teaspoon baking soda
1/2    teaspoon salt
1       cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray 3 mini loaf pans with cooking spray.


Combine the sugar, applesauce, oil, banana, and yogurt in a large mixing bowl with a wooden spoon.






Add the vanilla and eggs, mixing well.






Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a smaller bowl.





Add to the wet mixture, stirring til just combined.


Add the blueberries.  Fold in.







Divide batter into prepared pans. ( I made one mini loaf and 1 larger mini loaf....could have made 3 mini loaves as the batter really rose as it bakes.)



Bake 40 - 50 minutes.  Check doneness with a toothpick.  I cooked the smaller loaf 40 minutes and the larger one 45 minutes. (You can see how it really rose when it baked.)



Cool 5 minutes and cool completely on wire rack.








Wrap lightly and store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment