Wednesday, January 15, 2014

SWEET POTATO BREAD


On our way home from our Myrtle Beach trip way back in October, we bought about 40 lbs of sweet potatoes before we left North Carolina.  I am storing them in our garage in a single layer in several cardboard boxes.  The other day after going out in the garage, my husband told me I needed to do something with them.  (He wants me to make a sweet potato pie, but so far I haven't gotten around to it.  I will though.)

So when I saw this recipe for sweet potato bread from Katy at Food for a hungry soul, I decided to give it a try.  It would use up 4 or 5 of the potatoes.  That only leaves 50 + more to use.  I did reduce the amount of sugar from Katy's recipe.  She used 2 cups and that just seemed like a lot when the potatoes are already sweet.  The reduced amount was fine for us.  If it isn't for you, then use the full 2 cups.  I also used a sugar/stevia blend to reduce the calories and amount of sugar in our diet.


SWEET POTATO BREAD

3       sweet potatoes, cooked (or enough to make 2 cups mashed)
3/4    cup sugar/stevia blend or 1-1/2 cup sugar
4       eggs
1/2    cup oil
1/2    cup applesauce
3/4    cup orange juice
3-1/2 cup flour
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
2        teaspoon baking powder
2        teaspoon cinnamon
2        teaspoon nutmeg
1/2     teaspoon allspice
1/2     teaspoon cloves



Cook the potatoes til done (microwave or peel, cube and boil).







 Mash.








Mix sugar, eggs, oil, and applesauce in a large mixing bowl.  






Stir in orange juice and mashed potatoes.














Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  









Add to the potato mixture and stir just til combined, being careful not to overmix.







Divided the batter in two 9 x 5 - inch pans or four mini loaf pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray.






Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven til golden brown for 1 hour for larger loaves or 45 minutes for mini loaves.  Test doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of loaf.  Toothpick should come out clean.  Cook longer if necessary.


Cool and remove from pans to finish cooling on racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment