Monday, December 9, 2013

CHOCOLATE CHIP MINI -MUFFIN BITES

Where does time go?  It is hard to believe it is already the second week in December.  

We just got back from spending a week in Branson, MO Saturday afternoon. We had a great time and enjoyed some very good shows. We had plans to go to Silver Dollar City on Thursday but the weather had different ideas.  A winter storm moved in and by the time it finally quit snowing Friday around noon, there was 10 inches of snow on the ground.  Fortunately though we were able to get our money back on our tickets we had purchased.  I was so looking forward to seeing all the Christmas decorations and the shows there too though. 

I need to be decorating my house for Christmas.  I need to get the Christmas ornaments packed off to mail to my grandchildren in CO (since we didn't get to spend Thanksgiving with them).  I need to clean house since we have been gone for a week.  

But what did I do this afternoon?   I found myself looking for something to bake.  I decided to go through my mother's recipe box and see if I could find something that looked good to make.  I actually found several good prospects, but decided to make these chocolate chip mini muffins.  The recipe was simple enough and I didn't want to make too much of anything that would be too tempting to eat.

The recipe was cut from a magazine and was submitted by Joanne Shew Chuk of St. Benedict, Saskatchewan.  She said, "I bake a lot of different muffins, but I use this recipe the most."

After baking them, I can say they were thoroughly enjoyed by both my husband and me. I managed to eat only two of them, but my husband had to come back for a third one later.  The mini chips sink to the bottom of the thin batter so you are surprised when you bite into them and see the mini chips.  That is, if you don't just pop the whole muffin in your mouth in one bite.


CHOCOLATE CHIP MINI-MUFFIN BITES

1/2     cup sugar
1/4     cup shortening
1        egg
1/2     cup milk
1/2     teaspoon vanilla extract
1        cup flour
1/2     teaspoon baking soda
1/2     teaspoon baking powder
1/4     teaspoon salt
2/3     cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray.


In a mixing bowl, cream sugar and shortening until fluffy.








Add egg, milk, and vanilla; mixing well.  (I found this easier to do with my whisk.)






Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl. Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture; mixing well with a whisk.





Fold in chocolate chips.








Spoon 1 tablespoon (my cookie scoop is exactly 1 tablespoon) of batter into each cup.


























Bake for 10 minutes or until muffins test done.  Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack.






Remove and finish cooling.  (I loosened the muffins with a knife.)

No comments:

Post a Comment