Friday, November 1, 2013

MARGUERITE GOODRICH-ORANGE DATE NUT BREAD

I found this recipe in a cookbook the women at College United Methodist Church in Ventura, CA compiled.  It was submitted by a dear lady, Ruth Simcox.  I don't know who Marguerite Goodrich was.  Maybe if some of my CUMC friends read this and can let me know, that would be great. 

I have had the recipe marked to try for quite a while. I thought it would be a good choice for me to bake and take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop to share with the volunteers.  I decided to make it in two mini loaves instead of the larger single loaf.  I never know how many volunteers are going to be there on Tuesday when I go to "work" my middle shift at the register. (update:  I got sick and wasn't able to go in last Tuesday for my shift.  I froze one of the loaves and my husband and I have been munching on the other one.  I will make it again the next time I go in.)  Love the orange taste and the dates. I used walnuts for the nuts, but you could use pecans as well.




MARGUERITE GOODRICH-ORANGE DATE NUT BREAD


2     cups flour
2     teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
2     teaspoons orange rind, grated
1/3 cup shortening
1     egg, beaten
1/2 cup nuts
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup orange juice
1     cup dates, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray one larger loaf pan or 2 mini loaf pans with cooking spray.  (I used two of my Pyrex mini loaf pans...they are a little larger than the mini loaf pans.)

Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and sugar.  Add the orange rind and cut in the shortening.  (I use my hand to "cut" in shortening.  Old habit with biscuit making.)

Add beaten, egg, nuts, milk, orange juice, and dates. Stir with wooden spoon til completely moistening.
















Pour batter into prepared loaf pan(s).







Bake for 1 hour if using one loaf pan or 40 - 45 min if making mini loaves.

Cool in loaf pan(s) for 20 minutes before removing.











No comments:

Post a Comment