Friday, November 22, 2013

GLAZED CARROTS

If my husband is being chef (aka "fending for himself"), he will usually steam his favorite vegetables.  I love the "steamer" that came with my cookware.  

My cookware has an interesting story. It is about 44 years old. It was the first real gift I bought for my mother after I started teaching school and bringing a paycheck home. I bought it from a door-to-door salesman. (It was (is) that waterless cookware that has a lifetime warranty that was becoming popular.) I think I paid a couple of hundred dollars for it....a lot under the circumstances. My mother thought it was so nice that she wouldn't use it. I don't really remember when she gave it to us exactly, but I think it was not too long after we married....and we have used it ever since. The steamer and double boiler pieces are just that. They work with the larger pot by fitting on top of it. I still have the electric skillet that I bought as an extra but haven't used it recently. It features even cooking due to the fact that it has a cavity in the walls of the skillet (even up the sides) that contains oil that heats up as the skillet heats.

I found this recipe in Recipes We Grew Up With from Taste of Home Books.  The original recipe was contributed by Iona Redemer from Calumet, Oklahoma.  She said, "The sweet taste of the brown sugar glaze enhances these tender carrots.  Another great thing about this vegetable dish is that it adds a nice colorful touch to the table and complements any main course."  Well said, Iona.  

I did make a couple of changes from Iona's recipe by using baby carrots instead of whole carrots and I also steamed them instead of boiling them.  I also reduced the recipe in half as I only wanted to make enough for my husband and me.  


Baby carrots   (a little over 1 cup or enough for 2 servings)
2      tablespoons margarine
1/2   tablespoon lemon juice
1      tablespoon brown sugar


Steam carrots for 10 minutes or til tender. See below if you want to prepare more. (I prefer to steam the carrots instead of boiling them because you don't lose the nutrients.  If you don't want to steam the carrots, boil them in salted water until tender.)



Didn't take a picture but cover the pot with lid to steam the carrots.













Meanwhile, melt the margarine in a heavy skillet over medium heat.







Add the lemon juice and brown sugar and stir.







Bring mixture to a boil and let thicken, stirring








Add steamed carrots and stir to coat.







Continue cooking til carrots are well glazed and heated through.









If you want to prepare more carrots, simply double the recipe for the glaze.  It will probably take longer than 10 minutes to steam the carrots, also.

No comments:

Post a Comment