Monday, November 25, 2013

CARROT BANANA BREAD

I know what you are thinking.....what?  carrots and bananas? Are you kidding me?

I have to admit the combination cought my attention when I was looking through my The Best of Country Cooking 2002 cookbook. I have found so many recipes to try from this cookbook.  The recipe was submitted by Beulah Starkweather from Englewood, FL.  She said she had received the recipe from her mil and it had become her favorite banana bread recipe.  "The carrots add a special touch." And she is so right.  I love the combination of the two flavors.  

I made two mini loaves using my blue pyrex loaf pans instead of the large 9 x 5 -in loaf.  I have three of these loaf pans.  They are a little bigger than the small mini loaf pans.  I bought one at a rummage sale that our church in Ventura, CA had.  The other two I have gotten at estate sales here in the Kansas City area. Before I would have made 3 mini loaves but I like the two generous "mini loaves" I get with these pyrex loaf pans.  I gave one of the loaves I made to my friend Linda who takes such good care of our cat, Miss Sara, when we travel.  I am enjoying the second one.  It won't be long before I will be making this recipe again.

This is a perfect recipe to make and give to your friends for the holidays.


CARROT BANANA BREAD

1/3     cup canola oil
1        cup sugar
2        eggs
2        cups flour
1        teaspoon baking soda
1/2     teaspoon salt
1/2     teaspoon ground cinnamon
1        cup mashed ripe bananas (2 - 3 medium)
1        cup grated carrots
1/2     cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray one 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan or two mini loaf pans with cooking spray.


In a mixing bowl, combine oil and sugar.








Add eggs and mix well.





















Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon with a whisk. (I sifted mine)


Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the bananas (Start and end with the flour mixture. I do it three times.)














Stir in carrots and nuts.









Pour into prepared loaf pans.








Bake for 55 - 65 minutes for the large loaf or 45 minutes for the mini loaves.  Check doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf.  It should come out clean.




Cool 10 minute or so on wire rack.  I cooled my mini loaves 20 minutes and then ran a knife around the edges to loosen the bread.

Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.





No comments:

Post a Comment