Thursday, October 24, 2013

CHEESY CHICKEN & RICE CASSEROLE

The other night I decided to try this recipe for Cheesy Chicken & Rice Casserole. I have had this recipe from Campbell's since 2006 but, as my usual story goes, I've just never got around to making it. It takes only about 5 minutes to prepare it and 45 - 60 minutes to cook it. I used brown rice so I cooked mine 60 minutes to make sure the rice cooked. I also lowered the oven temperature to 350 degrees because I was using  a glass baking dish. I did use the 98 % Fat Free cream of chicken soup. I forgot to cover the dish when I baked it, but it turned out okay. The mixed vegetables might not have looked dry looking, but they didn't taste dry.


After putting it in the oven (without the cover), my husband and I decided to take a walk around the neighborhood and enjoy some of the fall colors. We have maple trees in our yard but they are always the last ones in the neighborhood to turn. It is really interesting. We are just two doors down from the next cross street, but the maple trees on that street always turn first. We don't really understand but this has happened every year since we moved here 5 years ago. The trees on that street will be almost bare of leaves when our trees finally turn.


Since our trees haven't turned yet, I had to make our front "porch" at least look festive.



















CHEESY CHICKEN & RICE CASSEROLE

1        can (10-3/4 oz.) cream of chicken soup (regular or 98 % fat free)
1        can water
3/4   cup uncooked long-grain rice (white or brown)
2       cups fresh or frozen vegetables (I used frozen mixed vegetables
1/2    teaspoon onion powder
4       skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/2    cup shredded Cheddar cheese (I didn't use that much)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. (350 degrees F if using a glass baking dish)

Stir the soup, water, rice, vegetables and onion powder in a 12 x 8 -inch baking dish.

Top with chicken.  Season the chicken as desired.  Cover with aluminum foil.





Bake for 45 - 60 minutes or until chicken is done.









Top with cheese.  Return to oven to melt the cheese, if necessary.

Makes 4 servings.

Variations:

Mexican Fiesta:  In place of onion powder, use 1 teaspoon chili powder.  Substitute Mexican cheese blend for the Cheddar cheese.

Taste of Italy:  In place of onion powder, use 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning.  Substitute 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan for the Cheddar cheese.

Go HERE. to see some of my other favorite chicken recipes. 

7 comments:

  1. Hello i am just starting to cook and i have 2 questions please , the 1st is the chicken uncooked and the 2nd you mentioned to cover it , cover it with what ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your questions. How exciting you are a new cook! This is a good easy recipe to start learning with. Yes, you start with uncooked chicken...the cooking time is so long (45 to 50 minutes) so that the chicken can cook. The "done" I am talking about is the chicken. I will go back and add to "cover with aluminum foil". Let me know how it turns out.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for this amazing dish , it was a so easy and so yumy

      Delete
    3. Great. We really like it too.

      Delete
  2. I will say this is an excellent base recipe but we did not like the flavor or lack there of. We think we will marinate the chicken, or add a can of rotel. Add in real onion. Thanks for sharing, found this on pinterest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad idea. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. I wasn't wide awake when I responded earlier. I definitely think marinating the meat is a good idea. Since you found my blog on P interest I hope you will check out some of my other posts. Thanks again for leaving your comments.

      Delete