Friday, September 6, 2013

LEMON WHIPPERSNAPS

I found this recipe and thought it sounded like a good cookie to take to share with the other volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop this week. It was in my Coldwater's Cookin' ! recipe book that was given to me from the family of one of the little girls I kept after our son Patrick was born. (I didn't want to put him in daycare so I quit my teaching job and opened my own "At Home" daycare center.

I had four darling little girls who came to me within a month of each other as they turned 1 year old. I did that for 2 years and 3 months. I was ready to go back to teaching in the classroom, but I missed Megan, Claire, Abby, and Andrea. I would love to know where they are now and what they are doing.

Megan's grandmother had contributed recipes to the cookbook. This recipe though was contributed by Debbie York. It makes about 4 dozen cookies, having about 50 calories and only 4 grams of sugar in each.




LEMON WHIPPERSNAPS


1      Pillsbury Lemon cake mix
1      large egg
1      (8 oz) container of sugar free whipped topping
1/2   cup sifted powdered sugar






Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray several cookie sheets with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, egg, and whipped topping.







Stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed.







Using a 1 - inch scoop, drop the dough in a plate with the sifted powdered sugar 




and roll it around to cover.










Place at least 2 inches apart and bake 10 minutes.









Remove immediately to cool 







on a wire rack. 











Use a new cookie sheet each time so the sheet isn't warm.

2 comments:

  1. could this be done with a gluten free cake mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not an expert Joann, but thanks for your question. After doing a little research, I would say "go for it". Personally I generally use a soft wheat flour which has less gluten and I have never had to make any accommodations for any recipes even though I read that I should.I found several gluten free recipes at bettycrocker.com.the comments were interesting. Several said they had added a little bit of water because the cookies were crumbly. If you're a risk-taker then I would say make a couple by the recipe with your cake mix and see how they turn out. If they are crumbly, then add just a little water. Would love to hear how they turns out.

      Delete