Thursday, September 26, 2013

CHOCOLATE CHIP COCONUT BARS

I made these bars as my "Treat" for the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop when I went to volunteer myself. The recipe originally was in Woman's Day magazine. I made them several times in the early to mid 80s.(according to my recipe card)

When I arrived to work the middle shift, they were in the Community Room finishing their lunch. They cheered when I walked in and said, "Just in time."  A new man (volunteer) said, "Oh, I'll put away my cookies I brought."

They were really good and I did manage to get one when I took a break. They were all gone though when my shift was over 3 hours later.




CHOCOLATE CHIP COCONUT BARS

2       eggs
3/4    cup packed light brown sugar
1/2    cup flour
1/4    teaspoon salt
1/4    teaspoon baking soda
1       teaspoon vanilla
1       cup flaked coconut
1/2    cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 inch square pan.


Beat eggs and sugar until smooth.







Beat in flour, salt, soda, and vanilla.








Add the coconut. Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.









Turn into pan and spread out evenly.








Sprinkle the chocolate pieces over top.







Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool completely in pan on rack.





Cut into 18 bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment