Monday, September 9, 2013

APPLE DELIGHT SALAD

Last week, I was asked to substitute in a bunco group. The group gathers in the home of one of the members and eats and visits before finally playing bunco. Everyone brings a dish to share for the meal. After playing a couple of games, they enjoy dessert that the hostess provides. (Peggy had homemade pound cake, sliced strawberries and whipped cream. The pound cake was so good!)  

I have substituted in the group many times, and always have a hard time deciding what to bring as they are all really good cooks and usually bring delicious dishes.  

The night before I decided to check out a couple of cookbooks to see if maybe I could find something different to take. I finally found this recipe for Apple Delight Salad in the third cookbook I opened. The cookbook was The Best of Country Cooking 2002 and was contributed by Joyce Dancey from Clearwater, FL. She said, "This refreshing fruit salad gets a triple crunch from apples, celery, and walnuts.  The simple yogurt dressing really enhances the flavor."  

The only changes I made were using Greek yogurt and and I used 4 cups of chopped apples (3 apples). I love the taste that the cinnamon gives to the dressing. I also used 2 gala apples and 1 granny smith. I liked the red color from the gala apples and thought when I was making it that I should have gotten a third gala apple since the celery was green. But as it turned out, with only 1/3 cup of chopped celery, the green apple just added to the green of the celery.

They liked the salad, too.




APPLE DELIGHT SALAD


3-1/2  to 4   cups chopped unpeeled apples
1/3               cup chopped celery
1/4               cup raisins
1/4               cup chopped walnuts
1                   5.3 ounce container of plain non-fat Greek yogurt
6                  teaspoons stevia
1/8               teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a bowl, combine the apples, celery, raisins, and walnuts.

In another bowl, combine the yogurt, stevia, and cinnamon until blended.

Pour over the apple mixture; toss to coat. 

Refrigerate until serving.












No comments:

Post a Comment