Wednesday, August 7, 2013

KEY LIME CAKE

I think I mentioned earlier about going through a cookbook I got at Hillcrest Thrift Shop called The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook. Instead of just putting little strips of paper marking recipes, I decided to write down the titles with the page number on an index card and putting it inside the cover. I think this is a much better idea. I have wasted so much time before. I think the next time I have nothing to do, I will "update" a couple of my cookbooks with a card of the names of the recipes and page numbers that I have marked with those strips of paper.

Friday when Janice and I went to some estate sales, we were looking at some cookbooks at one particular sale and they were full of little strips of paper sticking out the top. (It was really hard to not buy several, but I didn't.

This Key Lime Cake was one of the recipes I wrote down on the card from the cookbook. The "Key Lime" got me in the title. I have a hard time passing up Key Lime Pie in restaurants if I see they have it. So I just had to try this recipe.

Saturday night was the gathering of the NNL Dinner Club. I usually take a dessert, but I waited til the last minute to see what others were taking before I said I would bring dessert. They always like my desserts, but I want to give others a chance if they want.  And they liked this one, too.




KEY LIME CAKE

1       (18.25 - oz) pkg Lemon Supreme Cake mix
1       (3.4 - 0z) pkg lemon instant pudding mix (I used the sugar-free one)
4       large eggs
1/2    cup water
1/2    cup key lime juice
1/2    cup canola oil
2        cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4    cup key lime juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch pan.


Combine the first 6 ingredients in a mixing bowl. Combine and then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.




Pour batter in the pan. Batter will be thick.

















Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by sifting the powdered sugar and then measuring 2 cups of it.  Add the key lime juice. Stir til completely mixed.


Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.  






Then pour and spread the glaze over the warm cake.

















Cut into squares to serve.










TIP ALERT!


An easy way to grease a pan and less messy is to spread the shortening with a paper towel. Your hand is still clean when you finish.


Then when you are ready to add the flour, sift a spoonful of flour over the bottom of the pan.  




Then shake the excess around the sides.  No more little lumps of flour left in the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment