Tuesday, August 6, 2013

CHERRY COCONUT YOGURT PIE

I'm so excited. I found another great recipe for a low calorie dessert that uses Greek yogurt and my favorite -- cherry pie filling. The original recipe came from my No-Quilt Desserts cookbook. I used the toasted coconut vanilla Greek yogurt instead of the vanilla yogurt their recipe called for and no-sugar-added cherry pie filling.  

I also decided to try a recipe for a crust made using cookie crumbs. It was a recipe I have had but never tried. The original recipe called for 2 tablespoons of sugar, but I can't imagine why you would do that since the cookies are probably already sweet enough.  

When I make gingersnaps, I like to freeze most of them to crumble for desserts. Usually I crumble them when I make instant pudding. I simply crumble a cookie and spread it in the bottom of a goblet, add the pudding and then sprinkle a little more on top. You can find the recipe for the gingersnap cookies I used for this recipe HERE. 



CHERRY COCONUT YOGURT PIE w/ CRUNCHY COOKIE CRUST for no-bake pies

1        envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4   cup cold water
2       cartons toasted coconut vanilla Greek yogurt
1        can no-sugar-added cherry pie filling




In a large microwave safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup of water; let stand for 1 minute to soften.

Microwave on high for 10 seconds; stir until gelatin is dissolved.


Whisk in the yogurt.








Then gently fold in cherry pie filling.







Spoon into crust.  








Can sprinkle some additional cookie crumbs on top, if you like.






Chill until firm.  ( I made mine the day before.)






CRUNCHY COOKIE CRUST for no-bake pies

4         tablespoons to 1/3 cup melted margarine (1/2 a stick)
1-1/4 to 1-1/2  cups cookie crumbs
1/4     cup finely chopped nuts

Crumble 5 - 6 medium cookies or whatever it takes to make 1-1/4 cups of crumbs.





Add 1/4 cup nuts.  Add the melted margarine and stir to combine.






Press into the bottom and up the sides of an 8-1/2 to 9 inch microwave safe pie plate. 













Cook 3 - 4 minutes on High or until firm feeling to touch. (check after 3 minutes.)

Cool and add pie filling.


I used my homemade gingersnaps.  The gingersnaps were a pleasant change from graham cracker crumbs or vanilla wafers.


With the cookies I didn't use, I decided to go on and crumble them (since I had thawed them) and put them in a freezer bag ready for the next pie crust I want to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment