Friday, July 19, 2013

EVELYN'S FAMOUS POUND CAKE

Earlier this summer when my husband and I took a Road Trip to visit with family and friends and spend a few days in Orlando, our first "family stop" was at his aunt's in Tennessee.

One night while we were there, my husband's cousin, Nancy, had "family" over for a potluck dinner. For dessert we enjoyed Evelyn's Famous Pound Cake....that's what everyone was calling it. 

I had a blast sitting with her listening (and writing it down) to her describe precisely how she makes it so that I could duplicate it and be as successful as she. This was very important to her. She knew I planned to share this on my blog, but she was really concerned that I understand every step so that it would turn out perfectly for me.

She started by trying to describe the pan she bakes it in. As it turned out she had one in her car. I asked her to get it so I could take a picture of it since I couldn't image it. It measures 16" long x 5" wide x 3-3/4" deep. She did admit it is hard to find. (I did a search and found a similar size on Amazon.)



Here is Evelyn's recipe with lots of notes/comments. Bare with me if you want to be able to make it perfectly like Evelyn. I will list just the ingredients again at the bottom, but remember, it is really, really important to read her instructions if you want to make it perfectly, like she does.




EVELYN'S FAMOUS POUND CAKE


Cream together with mixer:

2       sticks of butter, at room temperature (She uses Parkay or Blue Bonnet margarine)

3       cups sugar (not fine--use regular granulated sugar)

Add 2 extra large eggs at a time at medium speed until smooth each time until you have added 6 in all.

Sift the flour and then measure 3 cups of flour. (Evelyn uses White Lily flour.)

Add the flour 1 cup at a time to the mixture, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. When adding the third cup of flour add 2 tablespoons more sifted flour to it and then keep out 1/4 cup of it and add 1 teaspoon baking powder to it. Then add the rest of the last cup or what is left (about 3/4 cup). Don't beat the batter too much when you add the last 1/4 cup that you added the baking powder to. Could you follow that?

Pour 1 cup  (8 oz carton) whipping cream -- NOT WHIPPED into the batter. Fold it in with a spatula and add 1 - 2 teaspoons pure vanilla flavoring -- NO imitation. (When I asked her if she used 1 or 2 teaspoons, she said she actually doesn't measure the vanilla.  Isn't that just like a cook?)

Pour batter into pan that you have rubbed the sides and bottom with butter (margarine). Sift a little flour into the pan and shake to coat the sides. (Personal note...I think this tip is priceless....I have always just dropped a little in and sometimes it leaves little balls of flour in the plan.  I will certainly remember to do this from now on when a recipe says to grease and flour the pans.)

Evelyn called me two days later because she realized that she forgot to tell me after she pours the batter in the pan, she taps it against the table several times. This is to let air bubbles escape that might be in the batter. I told you she was really concerned that I know exactly how she made the cake so I could make it perfectly.

She always uses this pan to make these cakes. She has about 7 pans. She told me she makes on the average of 2 of these a week. She gives most of them away. The most she ever made (at a time) was 27 for a church gathering....of course she took several days to get them made.

Anyway, back to her instructions....

Bake the cake in a preheated 325 degree F oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes or til brown on top.

Remove from oven and loosen the edges by running a knife around the inside edges. Cover a wire rack with a terry cloth towel folded to fit. Turn the pan over onto it. The towel will absorb the moisture from the warm cake. Cool 1 hour and then wrap the loaf in heavy duty foil.

She says she has been making this pound cake for years and doesn't remember where she got the recipe. She bakes 4 every time she goes to visit her grown kids so they have plenty.


She sliced some fresh strawberries and Nancy added some frozen yogurt and so many of us enjoyed it that way. I did eat a bite of the cake with the berries so I could taste this famous pound cake. It is delicious.

EVELYN'S FAMOUS POUND CAKE

Ingredients:


2     sticks of margarine
3     cups of sugar
6     extra large eggs
3     cups + 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1     teaspoon baking powder
8  - oz carton whipping cream
1 - 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Read above for directions on making.

If you follow Evelyn's directions, you should be able to make her Famous Pound Cake perfectly.  
  

2 comments:

  1. This looks lovely. Can't wait to try it! Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcomed. Glad to hear! Enjoy. Patricia

      Delete