Friday, June 21, 2013

BRER RABBIT MOLASSES COOKIES

Due to members being out of town and/or taking care of loved ones, our quilting group was only 4 yesterday.  So Kay asked if we wanted to sew or play canasta.  Since we haven't played canasta in a while (haven't sewed in a while either), the canasta sounded like fun.

When Janice and I got to Kay's, Ellen was already there and showing off pictures of her newest grandson. After Janice and I looked, I noticed some thin, crispy looking cookies or Kay's bar. I asked her if they were gingersnaps or molasses cookies.

When I showed my disappointment when she said molasses, Kay asked me could I not have molasses. I laughed and told her I had just been trying to find a crispy gingersnap. She shared a recipe she had for gingersnaps that I will be trying to see if they are crispy....she didn't remember.

Here is her recipe for the molasses cookies. They came from her 1993 Mrs. Field's Cookbook. They were delicious!




BRER RABBIT MOLASSES COOKIES

3/4     cup shortening
1        cup sugar
1/4     cup molasses
1        egg
2        teaspoon baking soda
2        cups flour
1/2     teaspoon ground cloves
1/2     teaspoon ginger
1        teaspoon cinnamon
1/2     teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Melt shortening over low heat.  Cool

Add sugar, molasses, and egg.  Beat well.

Sift flour, soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, and salt.  Add to the first ingredients.  Mix well.

Chill (1 hour).

Form in 1" balls.  Roll in sugar and place on greased cookie sheet 2 - inches apart. (They do spread)

Bake 8 - 10 minutes. (slightly underbaked)

Cool on wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment