Wednesday, May 1, 2013

SLOW COOKER OVERNIGHT CRANAPPLE OATMEAL


While fooling around on Pinterest the other night, I saw a pin for Overnight Apple Oatmeal.  The picture looked more like apple crisp, but the recipe wasn’t too difficult when I checked it out at Group Recipes.  It had been submitted by Michellem.  Sorry I can’t give anymore credit.  Since I haven’t eaten any baked oatmeal the last week and since I had the apples, I decided I would make some before I went to bed and let it cook overnight.

As usual, after I started preparing it, I decided to try using only one apple instead of the two and using some other fruit.  First I thought about substituting blueberries… I have a gallon freezer bag full.  Then I remembered I had frozen cranberries and I love apples and cranberries, so that is what I did. 

This morning I got to thinking about other possibilities and thought of using raisins, or even peaches instead of the apples and even wondered about using fresh strawberries.

Anyway, I love recipes that will allow for a variety of changes for different tastes/flavors.  I also substituted Splenda Brown Sugar Blend for the brown sugar to reduce the calories.
Since I used apples and cranberries, I am renaming my recipe



        OVERNIGHT CRANAPPLE OATMEAL

1      apple sliced, such as Granny Smith
1      cup frozen cranberries
1/3  cup brown sugar (I used 2  tablespoons + 2  teaspoons brown sugar blend)
1      teaspoon ground cinnamon
2      cups oats (I used rolled.  Old Fashioned or   Quick will do)
4      cups water                

Spray the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray (for easy cleanup)

Cut the apple into slices.  (I do this by using my apple corer/slicer which cuts the apple into wedges.  Then I cut each wedge into 3 thin slices.)  I did not peel the apples.   It saves times, plus the peeling have fiber and other nutrients. The peeling was tender after cooking all night and contains some good vitamins. 















Layer the apple slices in the bottom of the slow cooker.

Spread the frozen cranberries in next.







Combine the brown sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the apples and cranberries.




















Add the oats in next spreading them in evenly.

Pour the water last.  DO NOT STIR.



















Cover and turn the slow cooker onto Low.









Go to bed.

Get up 8 – 9 hours later and enjoy your cranapple oatmeal.  Stir when ready to serve.










Store leftover in a plastic container in the refrigerator.  To eat later, simply spoon out serving amount in microwavable bowl and heat for a minute in the microwave.






As I said, you can experiment with using other fruit or just use two apples and just have apple oatmeal as Michelle did.

No comments:

Post a Comment