Wednesday, May 8, 2013

PLANTATION CAKE

This recipe for Plantation Cake was the last recipe my mother shared with me. I don't remember where she told me she found the recipe. I do remember that she said she had made it for the "church ladies" and they all really enjoyed it. I remember making it but wasn't too impressed.

When we had to host the Dinner Club the other night, I decided to give it another try after one of the couples cancelled (they were going to bring a dessert), so we could have two dessert choices for everyone.  


I know you probably think I am crazy to make a cake that I had made before and wasn't too crazy about. I found the recipe card that my mother had sent me earlier last week and couldn't get it out of my mind. The recipe and my mother.  

My mother died suddenly 14 years ago and now one of her sisters, my "Auntie", will soon be joining her, my daddy, and James Gary, Auntie's son in Heaven. I have been really sad about the whole family....Auntie, her husband who is lost without her, her daughter - my cousin who has been the caregiver, and Auntie's sister, my other aunt, who will be the last living sister. I know they are all going to really miss Auntie, too. A lot of people are going to be missing this wonderful lady. So I have been thinking about my mother a lot lately.  

I decided maybe I did something wrong when I made the cake before. AND I must have, because it is delicious. So moist! Love the coconut and pecans I get in every bite. I did use unsweetened coconut and took it out before the hour, but otherwise, I followed Mother's recipe.  I decided a small container of sour cream was 8 oz. and I did use a cup of a fat-free sour cream.




PLANTATION CAKE


1   box butter cake mix
4   eggs
1   cup coconut (I used unsweetened coconut)
1   cup chopped pecans
1   cup oil (I used canola oil)
1   small carton of sour cream (I used 1 cup of fat free sour cream)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a Bundt pan with cooking spray.


Mix all of the ingredients on low to moistened.

Then beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.



Pour into pan and spread out evenly.








Bake for 1 hour. I checked mine with a toothpick at 50 minutes and cooked it 4 more minutes. I didn't want to overcook it.




Cool 10 - 15 minutes on wire rack.

Invert on wire rack and continue cooling. 

When cooled, place on cake plate. Before serving sift a little powdered sugar over the cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment