Wednesday, May 22, 2013

FRESH STRAWBERRY BREAD

In my last couple of posts I have been sharing about my experiences during the last couple of weeks with losing my Auntie and the joy of being with and seeing our son and his family in CO. 

In my post yesterday we had made the 1069 miles from CO to northeast LA before visitation at the funeral home was over.  In the room on a table was a digital picture frame with pictures of Auntie and friends over the years.  They brought back so many memories.  I have spent the last 24 hours looking through my digital pictures looking for pictures to share here of her and the family.  I have found some good ones but I have had some difficulty finding certain ones I know I have.  So it is taking me longer than I thought it would to prepare the next "installment".  

I will write the next post as soon as I gather the pictures I would like to share.  Until then.....here is a post I wrote for Fresh Strawberry Bread that I made and really liked.  Hope you will give it a try.

I love fresh strawberries...just about any way you can enjoy them.  When we lived in CA, it was so hard driving by a field where they were growing.  Seeing all the red in the field just made you want to stop and go out and pick some.  When we first moved there and saw the field before the plants came up, the field looked like a pond.  That's because after the wide rows were flattened, they were covered with black plastic.  This kept the ground warm so the plants were grow quickly.  It also kept the berries off the ground.  The rows were so wide, they would plant 2 - 3 strawberry plants wide down the rows.  To keep the strawberries plants producing  those large (No. 1) strawberries, they would start all over and plant new plants several times a year.

This recipe for fresh strawberry bread was cut from a newspaper somewhere.  The paper is now brown and ripped along the top because it was just a little bigger than my recipe cards and every time I went through the cards in my recipe box, the top would get bent over again.

I had some of those nice No. 1 strawberries (first of the season) and decided to use them for this recipe.  The recipe calls for 1 cup crushed or chopped fresh strawberries.  My strawberries were so large it only took 6 of them to make a cup.

I usually make mini loaves even though the recipe says to use a 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan.  That way I can eat one and freeze the other one(s).  When I saw that the recipe said to line the loaf pan with greased wax paper, I decided I would just make this in the larger loaf pan and then cut it in thirds to freeze two of them.  That worked out perfectly.




FRESH STRAWBERRY BREAD

1/2     cup butter or margarine
1        cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup truvia sugar blend)
1/2     teaspoon almond extract
2        eggs, separated
2        cups flour (I used soft wheat flour)
1        teaspoon baking powder
1        teaspoon soda
1        teaspoon salt
1        cup crushed or chopped fresh strawberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  


Separate the eggs -- yolks and the whites.
Cream together the butter, sugar, and almond extract.










Beat in egg yolks 1 at a time.










I combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl with a whisk before sifting.


Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.








Add the flour mixture alternately with the strawberries to creamed mixture, starting and ending with the flour mixture.


Beat the egg whites until stiff.











Fold into the strawberry mixture, combining completely.


Line a 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan with greased wax paper.  (I lined the pan the the wax paper,








and then sprayed the pan with cooking spray.)










Turn batter into the pan spreading it out evenly.










Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until bread tests done with a toothpick.

Cool 15 minutes on a rack.






Lift the bread out with the wax paper.











Remove the wax paper 










and cool completely.












Then I cut the loaf into thirds so I could freeze two of the pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment