Friday, April 26, 2013

DERBY PIE


I think I have talked about The Tasty Bunch before. It is a small group in the Northland New Neighbors League that is 6 couples. Each month, the "host/ess" chooses a restaurant for us to meet at and have dinner and then we all go and enjoy dessert at their house. This month Carol and Keith were our Host/ess.  

After enjoying a delicious meal, we returned to their house to enjoy not one, but three different desserts. They had had guests the night before and had "leftovers". I wouldn't have eaten so much at dinner if I had known I would have so many choices. "Choices" isn't really the correct word. Everyone enjoyed all three.

I took pictures and Carol emailed me the recipes. I will be sharing them with you over the next few days.  

I decided I would share the Derby Pie with you first. Carol said it is also known as the Running of the Roses Pie. I thought this was very appropriate as May the 4th is the Kentucky Derby, aka ....Derby Day. This pie is so good....I hated only being able to eat a small sliver.



Derby Pie


4    eggs
¾   cup honey
½   cup melted butter
1    tsp vanilla
2    tbsp bourbon
¾   cup sugar
¼   cup brown sugar
1    tbsp flour
1    cup chopped pecans
½   cup chocolate chips
1    9 - inch unbaked pie shell


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F– turn down to 350 degrees F if it gets too brown.

Combine eggs, honey, butter, vanilla and bourbon. Stir in sugars, flour, pecans and chips.

Pour into pie shell. Bake about 50 minutes.

Carol likes to use mini chocolate chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment