Thursday, April 4, 2013

BANANA-VANILLA MUFFINS

Last summer our friends Ray and Toni went to the Caribbean on a cruise and sent us a postcard from Jamaica.  On the back of the postcard was this recipe for banana-vanilla muffins.  I stuck the card in my folder of recipes to try and sorta forgot about it.  

Not really....I just hadn't ever got around to trying the recipe. Well,  I finally did.  I regret that it took me so long to make them. 

They have to be the lightest, best tasting banana muffin I have ever eaten.  I took 10 of them to Hillcrest Thrift Shop Tuesday when I went to "work" (my husband and I each had to try one at home first) and they didn't last long at all.




BANANA-VANILLA MUFFINS

1-1/4  cup mashed bananas
1         egg, beaten
1/4     cup + 2 tablespoons sugar-stevia blend (or 3/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute)
1/2     cup light margarine (1 stick), lightly softened
1/2     teaspoon vanilla
1         teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2  cup flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  

Combine bananas, egg, margarine, and vanilla.  (I put the stick of margarine in the microwave for 10 seconds to just soften a little...that way when I combined it with the mixer, there were small bits of margarine that didn't completely blend.)

Combine the flour and baking soda together in a small bowl with a whisk.

Add flour to banana mixture and mix until moistened.  Do not overmix.  (You can see the bits of margarine in the liquid mix.)






Divide batter evenly in a 12 - cup muffin tin.  (I used my shallow muffin tin and made muffin tops.)






Bake for 15 minutes if making muffin tops.  May need to bake as long as 20 minutes if making regular muffins.  Check at 15 minutes with a toothpick.





I love the muffin tops.  They are so much easier to eat than a thick muffin.












No comments:

Post a Comment