Thursday, March 28, 2013

"SKINNY" COCONUT CREAM PIE

I LOVE COCONUT CREAM PIE.



I check out every recipe I see for it.  Most of them have more calories than I need to eat though. But the other day I saw one from Taste of Home that I decided I would make that I could make "skinny".

I LOVE IT!   I reduced the calories every way that I normally would. It may not taste as "rich" as some I have eaten in restaurants but it is just right for me. And I don't have to feel guilty eating it either.

I made the recipe and had so much that I had to run to the store and buy another pie crust. So it made two pies for me. I plan to freeze one for later.



"SKINNY" COCONUT CREAM PIE

2        pkgs (1 - oz each) instant sugar-free vanilla pudding
2-3/4 cups skim milk
1        teaspoon coconut extract
1        carton (8 - oz) sugar-free Cool Whip
3/4     cup unsweetened coconut
toasted coconut (about a tablespoon)* See below
2        ready-made reduced-fat graham cracker crusts

In a large bowl, whisk the pudding mixes with the milk and extract til it thickens, about 2 minutes.

Add the coconut.













Fold in the whipped topping.












Pour into two pie crusts, dividing evenly.  

Sprinkle toasted coconut on top.













Chill until ready to serve. I made mine the day before.

*How to toast the coconut....

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Spread about a tablespoon of the unsweetened coconut on a small cookie sheet.











Place cookie sheet in oven for about 2 minutes. (Start watching after a minute.)













The next day we cut it.  Perfect and only 233 calories per 1/8th pie serving. (Most of the calories are from the unsweetened coconut.  I could reduce the calories if I would make my own graham cracker crust....oh well...that's for another day.)



My friend Janice suggested making the second pie with the small 1-serving size graham cracker crusts and freeze them.

2 comments:

  1. I think to save calories I’ll make this without the crusts! Should still be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. Patricia

      Delete