Friday, February 15, 2013

ZUCCHINI PINEAPPLE BREAD

I had a recipe for zucchini pineapple bread that I was going to make on Monday. Before I got to start on it though,  I decided to get the freezer side of my side-by-side refrigerator organized. Remember my Get Organized 2013 plan?  (HERE)

In the process of removing everything in the freezer, I found a gallon ziplock bag full of frozen blueberries that I didn't know I had. I have two pint containers of fresh blueberries in the crisper waiting to be eaten.  

So I got sidetracked looking for recipes that called for blueberries. On my harvest table in the kitchen was a stack of a couple of cookbooks that I had been looking through recently. One of them was a cookbook I got from my Auntie. She doesn't cook anymore and the last time we went to visit her, I was looking in the cookbook and she told me I could have it. It is called Each What You Want. It is full of low fat, reduced calories recipes.  

I found a couple of recipes using blueberries, but my greatest find was a recipe Auntie had cut from the newspaper and left in the cookbook....and guess what it was for........Zucchini Pineapple Bread.  

The recipe had come from Carol Walters of North Little Rock, AR.  "This is really delicious probably because of the pineapple," she wrote. "It is the first I have seen that includes instant pudding mix."

The recipe was different from the one I had planned to make, but I decided I would try Carol's recipe.  I made a few changes in her recipe, but what else is new?  Even with my changes, I agree with Carol....it is really delicious.




ZUCCHINI PINEAPPLE BREAD

3        eggs
2        cups sugar (I used 1 cup truvia blend)
1/2     cup canola oil
1/2     cup unsweetened applesauce
3        cups all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2     teaspoon baking powder
2        teaspoons baking soda
1         teaspoon salt
1-1/2  teaspoons ground cinnamon
1-1/2  cups grated unpeeled zucchini
2/3     cup crushed drained pineapple (the recipe called for a 9-oz can and I used a 15-oz, drained it, and then measured out 2/3 cup)
1/2    cup dried cranberries
1       cup chopped pecans
1       Small package (4 servings) instant vanilla pudding mix (I didn't have a vanilla mix, so used a lemon instant pudding mix.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour two 9-by-5-by-4-inch loaf pans. (I used 3 pyrex loaf pans that measure 6-1/2-by-4-inches.)

In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla until foamy-a couple of minutes.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together in a medium bowl. Stir into egg mixture, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.

Then stir in zucchini, pineapple, dried cranberries, pecans.

Then slowly mix in dry pudding mix.

Pour batter into prepared pans 

Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.  (I cooked my mini loaves about 45 minutes.)  Cool 10 minutes in pans on wire rack.

Remove from pans and continue cooling on racks.



2 comments: