Thursday, February 14, 2013

DROP BLUEBERRY BISCUITS

I have been on a blueberry kick lately.  The price is good in the grocery store, but I also found a gallon bag of blueberries that I had frozen when I organized my freezer the other day.  This recipe for Drop Blueberry Biscuits works best with frozen blueberries.  They don't break down and "bleed" when you add them to the batter.  If you have fresh ones, just remember to measure out about 2/3 cup the night before and place them in the freezer.

I love the way these baked in my shallow muffin pan.  And they were so nice and brown.  I didn't put anything on top of them before I baked them to help them brown (like melted margarine or oil).

I decided to show this picture so you could see how nicely they turned out.  I did put the powdered sugar icing on top (see lower picture) but you don't have to if you don't want to.




DROP BLUEBERRY BISCUITS


Biscuit:
2     cups flour (I used soft wheat pastry flour)
4     teaspoons baking powder
1     teaspoon salt
1/4  cup sugar
5     tablespoons light margarine
1     cup skim milk
2/3  cup frozen blueberries (If using fresh berries, plan ahead and freeze them overnight)

Icing:
3/4  cup powdered sugar, sifted
1     tablespoon of milk 
1     teaspoon lemon juice (I used 1 packet of TRUE lemon equal to 1 large wedge of lemon)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  Spray shallow muffin pan with cooking spray.

(This is the shallow muffin pan I use.)


Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.  

Cut the margarine into thin slices.  (It is easier to "cut" in the margarine this way.)

Cut the margarine into the flour mixture in a large mixing bowl.  (I use my fingers to do this.)

Stir in the milk.

Add the frozen berries.(If the berries are frozen, you can stir them in and the berries won't break down.)

Spoon the batter into the muffin pan spreading the batter out to the edges.

Bake for 12-15 minutes in the oven.

Meanwhile, prepare the icing by sifting the powdered sugar and add the milk and lemon juice to desired consistency.  (I used the packet of TRUE lemon so I added just a little bit more milk.)  Set aside.

Remove the biscuits to a wire rack or plate.

Spread a small spoonful of the icing over the top of each biscuit.  (If you like.)

No comments:

Post a Comment