Sunday, September 1, 2013

CLUSTER RIB (KNITTING PATTERN)


I thought I would share with you some different knitting patterns that I have used or am using to make scarves and I would start with the cluster rib stitch.  Once you find a pattern you like, you can make different projects using it.  I choose to make scarves, but there are several things you could do.
  
One thing you could do (and use up some of that leftover yarn you have from other projects) is make squares from different yarn and then "sew" the squares together to make a lap throw or a baby blanket.  

If you didn't want to get that involved, you could use cotton yarn and make a dish cloth.


As I said, I like to take different patterns I find and like and after deciding the width, just knit until I have a scarf the length I want.


The CLUSTER RIB knitting pattern is one of my favorites.  Decide your width by casting on stitches in multiples of 3 ((3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33....)) + 1.

I cast on 34 stitches.  (That would be 33 + 1 or 34 stitches.)  My scarf will be 5 inches wide.  I am using size 8 knitting needles.


CLUSTER RIB pattern


Cast on a multiple of 3 + 1 stitches.

Row 1  (Right side): P1, *K2, P1; repeat from * across
Row 2 :  K1, * YO (yarn over), K2, with left needle bring the YO over the 2 knit sts and off the right needle, K1; repeat from * across.

Repeat Rows 1 and 2 for pattern until desired length of project, ending by working Row 2.


Bind off all sts in pattern of Row 1.


Here are a few picture


Knitting 
(with the yarn in the back - inserting the needle from the front to the back)











Purling
(with the yarn in the front - inserting the needle from the back to the front)










YO (yarn over) , Knit 2 set


Bring yarn around to the front as if you were going to purl










Then holding the yarn over the right needle with you right index finger








insert needle in next stitch and knit it.









Then knit the second stitch.










Then with the needle in the left hand pick up the yarn over and bring it over the two stitches you knitted and off the right needle. Hold the yarn taut with your right index finger as you are pulling the yarn over the two knitted stitches so that they won't also come off the needle.  After you drop the yarn over off the needle, use you right index finger to scoot the two knitted stitches down on the needle.

Knit one and then repeat the yarn over set until you have one stitch left which you will knit.



This is what my scarf is looking like.  I like the pattern that developed with the variegated yarn I chose.  I am using Red Heart With Love Plum Jam

Front side

and back side

I hope if you have never tried the cluster rib stitch, that you will.  Would love to hear what you make.

No comments:

Post a Comment