Friday, February 22, 2013

CHILI -- JUST WHAT THE WEATHER CALLS FOR

I really like chili. I always bought a certain brand of canned chili, but several years ago, they ruined it (for me) when they changed their recipe. Now the chili has all sorts of peppers. I can't eat peppers. I don't like the taste but more importantly they don't like me....ie they punish me with bad indigestion.

When I was in college, Sunday night was always chili dogs. I love chili dogs with lots of mustard. I don't eat chili dogs much any more, but ever once in a while, I do get a craving.

My husband likes making chili, but I can't eat his chili as he puts peppers and onions (lots of peppers and onions) in it. You can check his recipe out HERE.

A while back when I was looking in Peg Bracken's I Hate to Cook Book for her recipe for Swiss Loaf (HERE), I saw a recipe for chili on the next page. Even though I didn't completely follow her recipe, I was inspired. 

This is the recipe I came up with. I was really pleased with the results. I ate one bowl and then froze individual serving sizes (1 cup in a ziplock bag)



EASY CHILI WITH BEANS
  
2/3   lb ground beef
1/4    teaspoon minced garlic
1/4    teaspoon oregano
1/2    teaspoon salt
smidgen of cinnamon (I have a measuring spoon for a smidgen..it is less than a pinch and a dash...seriously...it is a little less than half of a 1/8 teaspoon measure)
3       cups cooked pinto beans (I cooked a pot of dried pinto beans -- you could used canned beans -- not the same great taste, but...)
1       can (15-ounces) tomato sauce

Brown meat in skillet til done.  

In a large saucepan, combine, all ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes.

That's it. That simple. But Oh So Good.



No comments:

Post a Comment