Friday, January 4, 2013

PIE FOR BREAKFAST?

I kinda made this Impossible Cheeseburger Pie for dinner. I say "kinda" because I never make it completely by the recipe. The first time I ever made it was in 1985.  (That's the date written on the recipe card.)

I made it using ground turkey since my husband tries to limit his intake of red meat. He often wants to know everything I did to make a dish I am serving and today was no exception. As we were eating it, he started making suggestions for the next time I make it. (Good suggestions!)   

I have problems eating onions and peppers. They give me indigestion. I usually leave them out or leave them in and just make the dish for him. He suggested the other day that I try the minced onions and see if they bothered me. So today I did. I didn't use as much as the recipe called for, but so far I am not having a problem.

I am writing this recipe with his suggestions, but remember you can use any ground meat and not eat it at breakfast. Add a salad and eat it at lunch. Vegetables and serve for dinner. I will include the onions and peppers. Remember my pictures are of my making it today with ground turkey and minced onion and no peppers.  ALSO the recipe is written for a 10-inch pie plate, make sure you see the note at the end if you are only using a 9-inch pie plate (as I did.)



CHEESY SAUSAGE BREAKFAST PIE

1         lb. ground sausage
1-1/2  cups chopped onions
1/4     cup chopped peppers
1/2     teaspoon salt
1/4     teaspoon pepper
1         cup shredded cheese (use your favorite)
1-1/2  cups milk
3/4    cup Jiffy baking mix
3        eggs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray 10 x 1-1/2 inch pie plate with cooking spray.


Cook and stir ground sausage and onion until sausage is brown, drain. Stir in salt and pepper.






Spread in bottom of the pie plate.









Sprinkle cheese to cover.









Beat milk, baking mix, and eggs until smooth.









Pour over cheese and sausage in pie plate.




















Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.








Let stand for 5 minutes on wire rack before cutting.

Refrigerate leftovers (if you have any.)











NOTE!  If you are using a 9-inch pie plate, reduce milk to 1 cup, baking mix to 1/2 cup, and eggs to only 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment