Sunday, January 6, 2013

LEMON CRANBERRY LOAVES

I found this recipe in a cookbook I have called No-Guilt Desserts....over 120 recipes with 200 calories or less. Some of the recipes are noted "Low Cholesterol", some "Low Sodium", some "Under 200 Calories", and some even "Under 100 Calories".  Lemon Cranberry Loaves was marked "Under 200 Calories". I am sure my slice is less than that because instead of making two 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaves, I made five mini loaves and I used skim milk and 1/3 less fat cream cheese. Since the recipe only called for 1/4 cup sugar, I used sugar and not a sugar substitute. I think next time I will add more cranberries...at least 1-1/2 cups chopped cranberries. And since it is made using a cake mix, it is "lighter" tasting than most "loaf breads".


LEMON CRANBERRY LOAVES

1        package Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
1-1/4  cups finely chopped fresh cranberries (measure after you chop them)
1/2     cup finely chopped walnuts (measure after you chop them)
1/4     cup sugar
3        ounces of cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat)
3/4     cup milk (I used skim milk)
4        eggs
Confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pans OR five mini loaf pans.

Chop cranberries into fourths. Stir together cranberries, walnuts and sugar in medium bowl; set aside. 




Combine cake mix, cream cheese and milk in large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time. 


Beat an additional 2 minutes.


Fold in cranberry mixture.  









Pour into pans.














Bake for 35 - 40 minutes if making the mini loaves OR 45 - 50 minutes if the two larger loaves. Check doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center.


Cool 10 minutes in pans on wire rack.
(notice one loaf ran over the side as it baked....so only fill pans about 2/3  full.)





Loosen loaves from pans, if necessary.  Invert onto cooling rack. Turn right side up and cool completely.





Dust with confectioners sugar to serve.












I wrapped four of the loaves with plastic wrap and placed them in freezer bags and froze them to eat later.

No comments:

Post a Comment