Monday, January 7, 2013

HONEY LIME SHRIMP


I saw the recipe for Honey Lime Shrimp at The Dough Will Rise Again. I love shrimp and lime so I decided to save it and try it when I had a chance. That chance came fairly soon.  

My Northland New Neighbors League small group, The Dinner Club, meets on the first Saturday night of the month. The host provides the main entree and everyone else bring a dish. I usually bring dessert because I love to bake. Lately I have waited until most of the other ones have responded to the evite  to say what I will be bringing. This way if others want to bring dessert, they have the opportunity to request it. Since I had not said anything and I had seen the recipe for the Honey Lime Shrimp, I replied that I would bring an appetizer.

The recipe said to serve the shrimp hot over rice or noodles, but I decided it would taste good alone as an appetizer. AND I was correct. They are delicious! I also made a couple of other changes. Since we were going somewhere else, I couldn't serve them immediately, but they were still good.


HONEY LIME SHRIMP

1     24-ounce bag medium-large frozen shrimp, cooked, tail-on, peeled, deveined
3/4  cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6     tablespoons honey
juice of 2 large limes
zest of one small lime (or throw the lime peelings in the bag)
4     cloves garlic, smashed
1     teaspoon sea salt
1/2  teaspoon pepper

Thaw the frozen shrimp.  

Combine the rest of the ingredients in a gallon size ziplock bag. Close the bag and combine the ingredients completely working with your hands.



Add the shrimp. Close up the bag. Toss the shrimp in the bag to cover the shrimp with the marinade and place in the refrigerator.



Flip the bag over several times to make sure all the shrimp is being covered. If you have the time, allow it to marinate 4 or 5 hours. The original recipe said 30 - 60 minutes. I wanted to make sure it would have the taste of the honey and lime, so I marinated it longer.

Remove from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before you are ready to cook it.

Heat a large skillet to medium to medium high temperature. Place the shrimp in a single layer in the skillet. Cook 2 minutes on one side


and then turn each shrimp over. (I found a simple fork worked best and fastest after trying several different things.) Cook 1 - 2 minutes on this side. You can decide how brown you want them to be. Remember they are already cooked so you are actually just heating them up and cooking the marinade. Remove and place on a warm tray.

  

Repeat until you have cooked them all.

I served them with a toothpick as an appetizer. I think they would also be good served over rice as a meal. If you do the latter, you might want to buy the frozen shrimp without tails. Reduce the amounts of the ingredients accordingly if you use less shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment