Thursday, December 13, 2012

CRANBERRY BREAD

Recently someone donated bags of organic cranberries to Hillcrest Thrift Shop for the volunteers to take. I took a bag home and decided to make something to take back to Hillcrest for the volunteers to enjoy during break and lunch time.  

I found this recipe for Cranberry Bread in my From Williamsburg Kitchens cookbook that I got on our trip to D.C. and Williamsburg back in September. I was attracted to the recipe because it only has 3/4 cup of sugar in it. I thought the orange juice would be a good addition also.

It turned out really good and after wrapping it in alumunim foil overnight, it was good and moist the next day when I cut it and took it to Hillcrest.


CRANBERRY BREAD

2        cups flours (I used soft wheat flour)
3/4     cup sugar
1        teaspoon salt
1/2     teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2  teaspoon baking powder
1/2     cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
1        cup fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped (I cut each cranberry in half)
1        egg, beaten
3/4     cup orange juice
2        tablespoons canola oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour loaf pan.

Sift dry ingredients together.









Stir in nuts and cranberries.









Combine the beaten egg, orange juice, and oil in small bowl. 

Add to flour mixture and mix until moistened.




Pour into loaf pan.  










Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool 10 minutes on wire rack.








Remove and continue cooling on rack.











No comments:

Post a Comment