Wednesday, December 26, 2012

COLONIAL GINGERBREAD

I substituted for three years after we moved to CA before I was hired by the local school district as a middle school teacher. One day when I was substituting, I was assigned to a resource classroom at an elementary school.

The assignment that was left by the teacher was to make Colonial Gingerbread with the class. She had a toaster oven for me to bake the bread in. I was really surprised that the teacher had left that assignment for a substitute, but I'm glad she did. It was a successful lesson and I left that day with a recipe that I have never found in any cookbook. I never had the opportunity to meet the teacher to ask her where she found the recipe.


COLONIAL GINGERBREAD

1    teaspoon ground ginger
2    cups all-purpose flour
1    teaspoon baking soda
1    teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1    egg
1    cup molasses
1/2 cup margarine, softened (1 stick)
3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 324 degrees F.  Grease and flour 9 x 4-inch loaf pan or 3-4 mini-loaf pans.

Into a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.

Add the rest of the ingredients.  With mixer at low speed, beat until blended, scraping bowl with rubber spatula as needed.

Increase the speed to medium and beat 3 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl. 

Pour batter into pan and bake 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean from center.  (45 - 50 minutes for mini-loaf pans)


Cool completely on wire racks.


Keep wrapped in foil.

To serve, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment